350 Flexplate with 153 tooth count?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 Flexplate with 153 tooth count?

I can't seem to find my Pioneer catalog with all the flexplate listings. I was wondering if anyone on the boards knows off the top of their head if any year 350 Camaro or similar Chevy came with a 153 tooth flexplate? I'm swapping the 305 in my '92 Camaro for a 350, and would like to find a 153-tooth flexplate for a 350 so I can reuse the starter on the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Re: 350 Flexplate with 153 tooth count?

If the tooth count is correct for that application,
    this may be what you are looking for...

Comment

ya small block chevy is small 153 and big 168 i think i have one in the shop if ya need it

Comment

If the 350 you're swapping in is a one piece rear seal you can use the flexplate off the 305. IIRC all the 3rd gen F bodies use the 153 tooth and all the G bodies do too.

Comment

If it's a two piece seal (85 or older) 350, just get a 153 tooth flexplate for a 250 six or a 307 V8, it'll work fine on the 350.

If it's a one piece seal 350, use your 305 flexplate on it.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            If it's a two piece seal (85 or older) 350, just get a 153 tooth flexplate for a 250 six or a 307 V8, it'll work fine on the 350.

If it's a one piece seal 350, use your 305 flexplate on it.
            It is a one-piece rear main seal 350 I'm putting in, but when I look up the flexplate through the Autozone website, I get two different part numbers for a 350 Z/28 (168 tooth) and a 305 RS (153 tooth). Plus, I thought the 305 used different balancing than the 350, so the 305 flexplate won't work on the 350 anyway?

If the balance is the same 305 to 350 on the later Gen I engines, then I'll be happy to reuse the flexplate off the 305, it's in excellent shape.

Comment

balance is the same on the 4.3, 305, and 350 one piece seal engines. Not so strange when you realize they all have the same stroke.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yep, swap them back and forth between all three.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                  balance is the same on the 4.3, 305, and 350 one piece seal engines. Not so strange when you realize they all have the same stroke.

Cool. I knew all three had the same 3.48" stroke, but thought the balancing was different. Great, this just means I don't have to spend the $80 on a new starter and flexplate.

One more thing, the 350 I'm putting in has a little under 10:1 compression, think there'll be any problems for the 153 tooth flexplate and starter turning the motor over?

Thanks guys.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the 305 had 9:1 compression in '92, so we're talking less than a point difference, it should be ok. Guess I'll find out the first time I try to start it!

Comment

Working...
                    X