Chevy RV cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chevy RV cams for torque...

picking an 'RV' cam doen't mean using 25 yr old profiles (yuck!)...unless you wanna go 'poorboy' style...but i appreciate/understand where you (guys) are coming from...

did you check out Comp Cams? (they have truck stuff ground on 111 lsa)

my .02

al
    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Re: Chevy RV cam

Originally posted by 70.5CAMARO
      well I would agree except i have done it and won, changing from the stock 1:5 rocker to a 1:7 rocker in a non milled head application will not cause any damage, and it will compisate for a not so beefy camshaft. your little .500 cam just turned into a .610 ish cam
      As long as the rocker stays on top of the valve, I'm happy.

Sure it may have won, but how long did it hold up?
      Theres lots of little tricks, some have a short life span.
      Valvetrain geometry has to be acceptable, and stable. Period.

Using bigger cams than that, I've seen that unless you go
      with a shaft setup, that you can't reliably run a 1.7
      without beating up the ends of the valves.

Comment

Go with a CompCams 268.

Here's a link.

I've built many of 350's using this cam from cars to trucks and it worked great in all of them.
        Tons of torque and good gas mileage to.

And I'd stay with the Q-jet carb, but maybe step up to a edelbrock performer for the intake.

Comment

The performer I put in my boat (low rpm "tow truck" type of engine - inboard ski boat that never goes over 4500rpm)
          helped not only with throttle response, but the engine also seems to run smoother at all speeds / loads, and picked up some high end as well. Not to mention took weight out of the boat compared to the iron intake.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
            well I would agree except i have done it and won, changing from the stock 1:5 rocker to a 1:7 rocker in a non milled head application will not cause any damage, and it will compisate for a not so beefy camshaft. your little .500 cam just turned into a .610 ish cam

I know plenty of 347 strokers with 1:7 rockers that last a long time ( that motor is gonna get ripped apart about once every two years minimun anyways)

most chevys dont get 1:7 rockers cause they dont need it. chevys are way easier to get bigger cams for. ford arnt unless you go custom grind.

Comment

Originally posted by dhondagod
              I put this one into a friends boat with a 350 in it.

ELG-E923P

.420/.443 Lift
              ELGIN E923P Camshaft 1955-1994 283-400
              .420/.443 Lift
              270°/280° Advertised Duration
              RPM Range 1500-4000
              Good Choice for Towing
              Recommend performance springs
              112° Lobe Center
              51° Overlap
              Good to Fair Idle
              204°/214° Duration at .050

Ended up it works so good (Pulls HARD) that I bought one for my wifes 69 Camaro (Stock '79 350 with an aluminum intake, Q-jet, stock exhaust manifolds, no covertor/gear etc.) Hoping for good street perf and decent mileage untill the LT1 conversion...

Chris
              That's the exact camshaft I put in the "shadetree 350" I put in my 82 Blazer. It was a stock '93 tbi motor from a truck with 100K miles. Beside changing the cam and lifters, I installed a new high volume oil pump, a PP "air gap" type intake, and a Holley 600 vac sec, which I've jetted down from 66's to 64's. Blazers aren't known for their fuel economy, but this engine (w 700R4 and 3.08ish gears) is getting around 9.5 mpg. Almost all driving it does, it has a 3500 lb trailer behind it and is in town stop-n-go driving.

Comment

Yup, a swell towing cam, (204/214), don't bother going more than 1.5 on your rocker ratio, you said you don't
                need a hot rod. Much more important to get the duration spot on.

Comment

Well, at least cut the devider between the two sides down, and gain some volume.
                  And port match them and the head ports to the gasket opening, it will help.
                  Or add a one inch open spacer, cheered my motor up no end.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I will get the cam ordered tomorrow, a Summit 204/214-.420/.442. I had to put it on hold for the past few days for Screaming Detroit's wedding. He has the week off, so he'll start pulling the old Buick engine out of the truck in the next day or so. Should have the thing installed and running this week.

Not sure yet on the intake manifold. I also have a PP RPM style intake. It's a new one that is polished, bought at a swap meet for $50. Didn't want anything that flashy though.

Comment

For $50 if you don't like the polished look - bead blast it and paint it orange with the rest of the engine
                      - man - where do you find such deals!

Let me get this straight -- he's working on vehicles the week after his weding????

Did he mary a saint - or a fellow carjunkie???

Comment

I know plenty of 347 strokers with 1:7 rockers that last a long time ( that motor is gonna get ripped apart about once every two years minimun anyways)

most chevys dont get 1:7 rockers cause they dont need it. chevys are way easier to get bigger cams for. ford arnt unless you go custom grind.

BS.

First off, you haven't looked in a cam catalog lately have you?
                        Fords are just as easy to find a cam for.

If you want to do it, go right ahead.
                        But I wouldn't recommend it....

Comment

BS.

First off, you haven't looked in a cam catalog lately have you?
                          Fords are just as easy to find a cam for.

If you want to do it, go right ahead.
                          But I wouldn't recommend it....
                          Don't you work with him? Couldn't you have just looked over your shoulder and said, "Dude, haven't you looked at a cam catalog lately?" =P
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I go back to work tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                              For $50 if you don't like the polished look - bead blast it and paint it orange with the rest of the engine
                              - man - where do you find such deals!

Let me get this straight -- he's working on vehicles the week after his weding????

Did he mary a saint - or a fellow carjunkie???
                              Actually, she couldn't care less about cars. Mine likes cars, but not trucks or motorcycles. They both let us get away with alot.

Comment

You're lucky!

Thankfully - I am for the most part too - My wife's Dad is a hopeless workaholic who used to pull all the overtime Dow would give him - then come home and work on cars on the side too --- so - she's used to the man in her life being in the shop allot -- when it gets out of hand - she lets me know!!

Comment

Working...
                                X