Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fuel line insulation suggestions, or HOLY BOILING GAS BATMAN!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel line insulation suggestions, or HOLY BOILING GAS BATMAN!!!!!!!

As I resolve one issue, another pops up to take it's place.

I know what the problem and solution are...just looking for suggestions.

My '85 Z28.....I'm using Edelbrock's T.E.S. header system, works great,no issues.....except for one.

The passenger-side collector, where it bolts up to the supplied Y-pipe, is extremely close to the supply&return gas lines.

The heat from the exhaust being transferred to the fuel lines is such that it's literally BOILING by the time it hits the carburetor....that explains the crappy running issues after driving for a while.

I know I need to somehow deflect the heat, just not certain how best to do it.

The area in question is where the factory lines make the transition up the subframe rail on the right side.....we're talking maybe 10 inches total of line.

Suggestions?

Re: fuel line insulation suggestions, or HOLY BOILING GAS BATMAN!!!!!!!

If it's just the fuel line, Taylors make a high temp insulation sheeth that may help called Fire Sleeve..

Also, you may need to insulate your carburetor from your intake with a spacer.
    A lot of heat gets transferred this way and causes perculation.

This is one type.

Comment

Appreciate the suggestions, Steve.

The sleeving is kinda what I was thinking of....just a question of if it would hold up to the heat coming off of the headers....as far as the spacers, I'm right at the very limit of stock hood clearance with the performer RPM and Performer carb on it now.

Hate to have to shell out cash for a cowl hood, but may be a necessary evil in order to vent out the hhot air underhood(gets hotter than hell in there)

Comment

I would always suggest a cowl hood for cool air, but the spacers listed are only about a 1/4" from memory.

I also have the FireSleeve stuff and it's rated at 2000F, which is pretty damn hot!
        Can't talk about how good it is, or not because the Camaro is still not yet running.

Comment

The Firesleeve is rated at 2000 degrees?

That'll suffice...LOL...although I DO wonder what the median temperature is at that particular section of line.

1/4"? That 1/4" that I just don't have, clearance-wise.....damn it.

Of course, if the fake-ass plastic hood louvers were actually functional, the heat wouldn't even be an issue.... :o

Comment

Double your carb base gaskets. That'll put more insulation between the manifold and the carb and barely raise your carb height. For your fuel lines, you can use that firesleeve stuff, get some thermo wrap from a local roundy round supplier and better yet combine it with a little polished aluminum fin heatsheild between the exhaust and the lines. Are we talking pipe under the lines or next to?
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I had a similar problem and used that Taylor stuff on the fuel lines. Make sure you either order the sleeve big enough to fit over your fittings or you'll have to disassemble them to squeeze on the sleeve. If it's touching exhaust, it will melt, but it only needs a small airspace to be OK.

The insulation didn't solve my problems. I needed the Holley heat shield/insulating gasket. This added almost 0.5". I got a different drop base and all is fine. www.ramairbox.com has bases with whatever drop you could ever want.
              Tampa, FL

Comment

Oh yeah, I use one of these..
                I don't have a problem so, I assume they work quite well, although having a Victor Jnr (or AirGap) manifold, where air can pass under the plenum helps a lot too.

Edit: These are now discontinued, but Holley have them under part number 108-70 or 108-69 for spread-bore. ;)

Comment

How about fabbing a heat shield?

A section about 12" long, you could shield the lines, or the header.
                  Used with the sheathing, it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                    How about fabbing a heat shield?

A section about 12" long, you could shield the lines, or the header.
                    Used with the sheathing, it would work.
                    I'd post a pic of my failed attempt, but I'm too embarrassed at how crappy it looks. if I'm worth $3/hr, the Holley gizmo Steve showed is a much better deal. I had to notch the front of mine just a little to clear the water neck.

I have an IR temp meter and it shows the bowls as much as 20-30 deg cooler with that Holley shield. I tried everything else first and the issues didn't go away until that got added. It did add just under 0.5" of height, which is why I needed a new base.
                    Tampa, FL

Comment

I would use all of those pieces, plus a cool can.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                        I would use all of those pieces, plus a cool can.
                        He does plan on playing with this at the track, if i remember right cool cans are not allowed in NHRA, Right.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                          Double your carb base gaskets. That'll put more insulation between the manifold and the carb and barely raise your carb height. For your fuel lines, you can use that firesleeve stuff, get some thermo wrap from a local roundy round supplier and better yet combine it with a little polished aluminum fin heatsheild between the exhaust and the lines. Are we talking pipe under the lines or next to?
                          We're talking right next to......maybe 1/2" of clearance between the exhaust and the supply/return lines running up the framerail.

Not one of GM's better ideas as far as line routing goes.

I have been considering a metal heat shield in addition to heat sheathing. None exist, so if i's gonna happen, It's gonna be something I fab up myself.....may make one from a factory catalytic converter shield......(call me a cheapskate..LMAO)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys....Mark, your creation can't be any worse than some of the butchery I've been guilty of in the past. Post up!

I'm gonna try to take some pics of what I'm dealing with, may better help to illustrate the issue.

min301, The cool can has been an ongoing idea...but gotta find out which sanctioning bodies will allow it(NHRA, SCCA, ECTA, SCTA, etc.) and which won't.

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

reroute the fuel line and , if you are using a mechanical pump , replace with electric
                              82- 84 camaros had a vapor lock problem fixed by an electric fuel pump

Comment

Working...
                              X