Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fuel line insulation suggestions, or HOLY BOILING GAS BATMAN!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fuel line insulation suggestions, or HOLY BOILING GAS BATMAN!!!!!!!

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
    reroute the fuel line and , if you are using a mechanical pump , replace with electric
    82- 84 camaros had a vapor lock problem fixed by an electric fuel pump
    Yeah...the "fix" was that little 3 PSI electric pump IN ADDITION to the mechanical pump......saw that TSB over on thirdgen.org.

You'd figure GM would've came up with a heat shield for that section of line instead of the "helper' pump....would've been a hell of a lot cheaper.

The General has come up with some odd "fixes" over the years, haven't they? LOL

Considered rerouting the lines, but there's really no good way to do that....just not a lot of room to work with on these third-gens.

Design Engineering, inc(DEi) has what I think will solve my issues....aluminized heat sleeving.

$17 from Advance Auto Parts for a 1" I.D., 3 ft. section.....may pick it up this week.

Still thinking about that cool can to have in addition to the sleeve/shield...just gotta check the different sanctioning bodies' rulebooks.

Comment

Another option - find a boiler guy and rip him off for a piece of Kaowool. It's a ceramic wool and is used to insulate boilers, steam lines, etc. We used to use it to insulate cats, directly touching the cat and/or pipes, and we never had an issue with it. We tied it on with SS wire (welding wire), but there a bunch of ways to keep it in place until it cures. It comes wet and will cook in until it fits like a custom-made sleeve. You just need a little piece.

In LSR, the fuel line needs to be shielded by 1/4" plate where it passes the flywheel, so you may want to take that into consideration. Not sure with NHRA and other sanctions.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by MadmanMark
        ...with that Holley shield. I tried everything else first and the issues didn't go away until that got added. It did add just under 0.5" of height...
        Don't you mean 0.050"?

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
          As I resolve one issue, another pops up to take it's place.

I know what the problem and solution are...just looking for suggestions.

My '85 Z28.....I'm using Edelbrock's T.E.S. header system, works great,no issues.....except for one.

The passenger-side collector, where it bolts up to the supplied Y-pipe, is extremely close to the supply&return gas lines.

The heat from the exhaust being transferred to the fuel lines is such that it's literally BOILING by the time it hits the carburetor....that explains the crappy running issues after driving for a while.

I know I need to somehow deflect the heat, just not certain how best to do it.

The area in question is where the factory lines make the transition up the subframe rail on the right side.....we're talking maybe 10 inches total of line.

Suggestions?
          I just had the SAME issue with mine, the line was right next to the manifold and was killing it after it ran for a while..I got some inexpensve insulation wrap for it form the local parts store for bout 20 bucks...made a world of diff....stopped boiling and ran great...now the hedders are in the fuel line is way far away form the pipes so i should really not be an issue

Comment

This car is starting to try my patience.....but I'm too damn stubborn to give up!

The Kaowool suggestion is an interesting one....if I knew someone in that line of work, I migt hassle them for some(bound to be cheaper...LOL).

Looks like the sleeve will be the way I'll go....someone at the parts store suggested the aluminized "Cool Tape".......I have a roll of that stuff, but wouldn't trust it any further than I could spit.

I've seen Scotch tape with more adhesive qualities.... :

Dan, will keep the 1/4" plate tip in mind....I do want to take this heap to be laughed at down in Maxton eventually!

Comment

I think you'd have an issue with the cool can if you were planning on running stock eliminator or some kind of actual organized class.

If you're gonna go run for fun on grudge night....I don't forsee a problem. I'll dig through the rule book.

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                I think you'd have an issue with the cool can if you were planning on running stock eliminator or some kind of actual organized class.

If you're gonna go run for fun on grudge night....I don't forsee a problem. I'll dig through the rule book.

Brian
                I used to play on tuesday night grudge night, and asked and about a cool can and they said no. But that has been about 10 or 11 years ago. (things change so gota ask again)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                  Originally posted by MadmanMark
                  ...with that Holley shield. I tried everything else first and the issues didn't go away until that got added. It did add just under 0.5" of height...
                  Don't you mean 0.050"?
                  I meant 0.5" (it was actually closer to 3/8). This is the height difference of a single gasket vs the Holley shield and thermal isolator gasket.
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

I have the Edelbrock headers and for years got by with the tiny piece of header wrap they included for the fuel line.
                    When I installed my A/C delete box I had room to finally get at that fuel pipe where it gets too close to the headers.
                    I slid some Thermo-Tec 14005 over the line and tweaked it away from the headers.

Comment

Working...
                    X