Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherokee XJ Front End Vibration (Not Death Wobble)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is with these stupid assed non repariable hubs anyway. spindles never went out, change two 12.00 bearings after you tighten them up four or five times to remove slop every 100,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
      What is with these stupid assed non repariable hubs anyway. spindles never went out, change two 12.00 bearings after you tighten them up four or five times to remove slop every 100,000 miles.
      My fault for buying shitty white box hubs, should've bought Timken in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
        it's a wash, longer tire life but non serviceable bearings, or serviceable bearings and half or less the tire life..
        think it's mostly from the oem standpoint mpg, less drag on the sealed units.. no installer error either on the line, or out in field.
        and on 4x4 I don't miss the royal p.i.t.a. front brake jobs.

Comment

I still have vibration between 60-65, and now a droning noise at 70-up.
          I replaced the following pieces...

*4 new tires
          *Both front hubs
          *Both front axle u joints
          *Tie rod end at pitman arm
          *Track bar and track bar bracket
          *All front and rear drive shaft u joints

The steering column used to vibrate a lot between 60-70, it doesn't anymore.
          The majority of the vibration went away after I replaced the drive shaft u joints.
          But now I have a droning noise though that creeps up around 70 mph and over.
          I checked both axle yokes, no up/down movement, no leaks, they still feel tight.
          The folks on the Jeep forums suggested the motor & tranny mounts are going bad.

Any ideas?

Comment

How tight is the slip in the front shaft? Have you tried driving without it?
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
              How tight is the slip in the front shaft? Have you tried driving without it?
              The slip yoke is in great condition, it's tight and moves freely. No difference with the shaft out.

Comment

Impossible to guess w/o being there. Any chance you could put it up on a rack, stick it in Drive and run it up to those speeds just sitting there? Some poking around at that point, besides being nerve-wracking, might be educational. Of course with the suspension being at full droop it might change things.

Comment

Working...
                X