Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump intank or not

Hayho

I have to add electric pump to my build as engine can't run a mechanical.
    I have a holley blue here or I could install an intank one with a little fab work
    It's a truck and I know the pumps outside the tank buzz. but with the cab separate from the bed I'd think that not be an issue.
    other than noise what bennies would there be to an intank pump.
    it'll be carb'd for the time being, both the intank and holley are overkill for this at the moment.
    the holley would be pulling from the tank sender unit , I've only use pumps like this that where fed from the bottom of the tank

I have swapped fuels around on one engine, tiny 1psi to 3 to 5 for carbs and then up to the modern 15-45.

The carbs and external is a good choice, but as injection demands more very quickly in sprites, that is where the in tank takes over.
    I had external pump on injection, it knew maine seasons (annoying randomly). Any combo works, but even airplanes had to stay internal.. its about priming and weather forces making unstable on high pressure demands.

more difficult to work, but for good reason.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Benefits of an in-tank pump: you get to drop the tank when the pump fails. Otherwise, nothing that I am aware of.

I would run an external pump with a bypass regulator. The bypass regulator will quiet down the pump some, lengthen the life of the pump, and keep the fuel cooler. Also, not all pumps are that noisy. I run a Mallory 110 that is hard to hear when it runs. A blue Holley is very noisy- make sure you mount it with a rubber isolator to keep it as quiet as possible.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

We had an external on the chevelle when we were running a carb but once we went to the fast ez efi we kept the external pump and after putting like 200 miles on the pump and system the pump would make a loud wine. it almost sounded like a supercharged wine but much louder. Once we went to one in the tank, it was so much better. NO noise, the gas in the tank helped the pump stay cooler and perform better.
        we bought a fuel pump module from Tanks and it comes with everything you need to drop in a fuel pump in your existing tank.
        The youngest guy on the board
        76 vega
        86 fiero

Comment

At least 11 years of Ford trucks use a lift pump and a high pressure external. They whine a little, you can hear the inline come on when you turn the key. There's this other noisy thing though - the engine. You can't hear the pump with the engine running. If you could, I would suggest headers.

I'm pretty sure Randal is using the F150 pump with no lift pump. I believe the Camaro TBI cars didn't use a lift pump either. I put a Camaro pump on the F150 when I put a carb on it (14 or so PSI v. 40). If you are running multiple tanks you need to worry about the return line as well.

I saw a Trucks episode the other day where they put a newer Suburban fuel pump assembly in a 70'ish C10. You might have a look at that. It was a pretty cool setup, and OEM parts are hard to beat for longevity.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            I'm pretty sure Randal is using the F150 pump with no lift pump.
            I'm now using TWO F-250 pumps (not sure if the F-150's are the same, I always specify either the E-250 or F-250), and I use the stock Buick mechanical pump to pump fuel from the gas tank to the surge canister which the inlines draw from.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

TANKS. I'll use my blue until such timew that I add efi then maybe see other options..
              that link for tanks(the company) required their tank . I'll look around that site later.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                At least 11 years of Ford trucks use a lift pump and a high pressure external. They whine a little, you can hear the inline come on when you turn the key. There's this other noisy thing though - the engine. You can't hear the pump with the engine running. If you could, I would suggest headers.
                Thats an awesome way to look at things, if you can hear the pump, the engine is too damn quiet. Hearthrob exhaust is getting alot of good reviews.

Comment

works good in 90% of new cars

Comment

Sometimes pumps mounted the right/wrong way can make for crazy loud noise in the car, engine running or not - I hear lots of them.

CDMBill mounted his Aeromotive A1000 on some kind of rubber-sandwiched plate, it is literally one of the quietest electric pumps I've heard, and A1000s normally are the loudest. I'd ask him what's behind his simple isolation mount, I'm not sure exactly what it is but he said it was simple to do. I've always marveled at how quiet his A1000 is.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Couldn't be easier. I welded two bolts by the head to the front of the trunk pan behind the rear end. You could through-bolt instead. I cut some scrap .125" aluminum plate in the shape of the A-1000 mounting flange plus 3" extra to reach to the two bolts an allow the pump to hang down below them. I glued .25" sheet rubber to the surface of the plate to act as a vibration damper for tyhe pump and mount. Small pieces of rubber on the back side create an isolator effect from the mounting bolts for the pump to the plate. The plate has a moderate "S" bend in it at the top to better postion the pump and futher reduce vibration trnasmission effects.

The plate is then bolted to the welded bolt/studs with nuts and washers sandwiching the plate. Use one of the welded bolts as the ground location from the pump. The pump with the 100 micron inlet filter and 10 Micron outlet filter sit as an assembly. The rear end protects them from major road trash, but the pump ets plenty of air to help keep it cool. Any pump can be mounted with an isolator plate mount which kills off potential panel reasonance or transmitted impluse noise from the pump through the chassis.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Richie's Merc has an in tank 9 psi TBI pump on a beretta sender ...hooked to a regulator to get it down to 3 psi for an eddy carb
                        75 el camino fuel tank
                        Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; July 4, 2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I may have to borrow that idea from you Bill when I go to plumb my Firebird.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

thanks 4 the ideas. it's easier to install the pump now with the bed off. in front of the tank sounds like a safe place. just gotta look to see what type room I got..

Comment

A easy and very good way to mount a external pump is using the MSD style
                              box mounts or their coil mounts(round rubber with a stud molded to it on each end)
                              cheap, easy and clean.... internal pumps are quieter as the fuel is a absorber and will
                              act as a heat sink

Comment

Working...
                              X