No announcement yet.

Remote Mounted M122 Eaton Roots blower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Mounted M122 Eaton Roots blower?

Alright guys... This may be dumb, but I think its worth discussing.
    I bought the FRPP 2013 GT500 TVS kit for my 07 GT500 and will have a left over M122 blower kicking around.... I thought it might be interesting to stick it on my father in-laws '77 Lincoln with mild 460.

I searched remote mounting a M122 and found a GREAT thread covering a remote mount install. (the first four pages get through the build and first drag outing)

I was concerned if I did a blow through carb set up....the blower would keep producing boost even when the throttle was closed. But this video reminded me that the factory bypass is vacuum referenced, so throttle blades closed, no boost.

This video was also good because it shows how an intercooler could be added to the setup. Eatons make a TON of heat and are nicknamed HEATON's

The Lincoln has an accessory spot on the passenger side top where the smog pump resides currently....

It would be a HELL of a lot of fabbing, so this might just be a thought exercise. Not to mention the M122 might be too small for a 460, but I'm thinking mild cruiser application VS all out race. (this blower on a stock 7.7:1 smog motor with decent cam ported stock heads.....?)
    M122's are fairly cheap, I see them quite a bit for $400 or less!
    I LOVE the low torque hit of a roots style blower!!! Adding that to the torque of a 460....how could that be bad?
    The biggest thing is trying to do it DIRT cheap. If you had to spend over a grand for the WHOLE and I mean WHOLE deal including every penny spent, I don't think it would be worth it.
    The problem is results are not guaranteed like the tried and true builds already posted all over.

Crazy idea, but looking at the LTD thread and the fox video....it looks possible, with out of the box thinking.

Holy crap, that thread was just what I was looking for. My searches only turned up a bunch of hack work. This guy did some niiiice work, in an LTD no less!

It would be really slick to put one on your 460. If the M122 seems too small, crank up the boost and add an intercooler :P . I'm sure you can find some room for an intercooler in that cave of an engine bay in the Lincoln.
    Last edited by Darren N.; March 16, 2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

idea is great..until I saw the discouraged part at the end about tried and true.

a modern air fuel gauge will get anyone through anything.

I went all the way to blown engine before realizing the resize 100% bigger than the pipsqueak internet keeping things in a cage...all with a simple air fuel gauge running correctly.

I'd go for it. in fact.. the remote mounting, first thing I thought of was my own "tiny" project.

the m90 is tiny.. I even heard of an ea series subaru gobbling that output up to no benefit at all.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 16, 2013, 01:36 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Still sifting through stuff....

Found another neat remote M122 build!! LOTS of good stuff in here, like drawings on how he made the pulleys and brackets.
        Forced Induction - Cheap supercharger kit: Part II - Heres a project Ive been working on for quite a while Eaton M122 off a 2009 Shelby GT500 on a LSx engine Some of you may remember my last build using an older M90 on a 5.3 which netted about 60hp over stock. The instant torque was fun but it just needed a little...

Just cool to see OLD SCHOOL hotrodding!

This LT1 M122 build also has some potential! Although it looks like he has a ways to go....

So here it is... the recipient the day I brought it home... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/08/upagemu7.jpg It's a 1985 Monte Carlo SS. I got it with a 350/350 turbo in it. I swapped in a 200-4R because the 350 turbo was slipping and I used it as a DD for about 6 months. Plus its what originally came in it so I felt it added a little nostalgia. I've always collected LT1 parts and cars and feel most comfortable with the platform so I decided to start planning for a transplant. Over the last
        Last edited by andy30thz; March 18, 2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Those are great threads. Thanks for sharing.

Although we're talking blowers here, you might still appreciate this guy's twin-turbo Cutlass that I posted here:

The strip had a nice race/show. Western Fuel Altered's Nitro cars / Alky cars plus a nice sized show. The pics are not great due to the suns position and my

I'm still in awe of how fast yet docile that land yacht is. I'm stuck thinking to myself, "a car like that shouldn't go that fast, no it can't... it's just not possible " haha

Comment

Working...
          X