Down The Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down The Road

I seem to be collecting parts again (still?) I've had a 240 6 Ford block sitting around for awhile. I just came on a 300 6 crank. Can I, huh, can I? Not this year, but maybe next or the one after. What kind of fun things could be done with that engine? A seven main bearing six oughta be fairly strong. Fuel injection? A whole rack of Strombergs? Boost? What about compression limits? I'm liable to try just about anything simply because I don't know I can't do it.

the i-6 is what drove me to self balance..and 3 main bearings.

one thing I would most certainly do is set it up to take proper cfm.

double over factory straw sucking one barrels in other words. 390 hooley, etc.. I like needles and seats, maybe pair up more than one single barrel, make it exotic.

if an earthquaking cracked island in japan can glorify it, old american can do it with a yawn.

stay torque based, just proper the cfm.

if I ever do find one again crazy cheap.. I got plans already.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

CC did a 10 second 300 Ford inliner / turbo in a Maverick article not all that long ago. He was running stock 300 long block with a Cometic / MLS head gasket iirc. I think the deck height is the same for both 240/300 and you get the inches from a huge stroke increase and much shorter rods. That speaks well to low end torqure but not the screaming RPM that I associate with 7 main bearings.

It's a TALL engine from what I remember. The 200/250 is a lot shorter I believe. What are you gonna put it in?

An EFI'd intercooled turbo'd 300 would make a righteous tow truck motor!
      Last edited by Beagle; May 8, 2012, 07:47 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have absolutely no idea what it would go in yet. When I get close to the right amount of parts I'll build it, then figure out what is appropriate. Just guessing, but I'm thinking compression will be right up there depending on what pistons end up in the mix. Torque should be good, revs decent with the right cam and ignition setup. Could be some great street fun in something light. Tuck it into a ridgerunner maybe. OTOH, The Beast in the Bushes will need an engine if I get it usable by then. It's an old Econoline. I don't know much about it yet either, but it doesn't appear to be a heavy vehicle.

Comment

Long stroke, EFI manifold from a truck, little turbo, and make a low RPM torque monster.

Comment

I use to have a 78 Econoline that had a 300 I6 along with factory 4 speed OD trans. That 6 was one strong mutha! The next van was a 302 C6 combo. I liked the 300 much better...at least in a truck. The 302 was gutless and was constantly down shifting. The 300 just shrugged it off.

I had a early 70's F150 with a 240 and 3 on the tree that was pretty good too. I can't help but to wonder just how much better a 300 is compared to a 240 in stock form with the factory log intake and tiny 1 barrel carb.
            Last edited by Huskinhano; May 13, 2012, 10:04 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
              I had a early 70's F150 with a 240 and 3 on the tree that was pretty good too. I can't help but to wonder just how much better a 300 is compared to a 240 in stock form with the factory log intake and tiny 1 barrel carb.
              a sh*t ton better... the 68 Ranger I had with 240/3 speed and 4.11's was a great field truck but hated the road with a passion. The 300/Efi OD trucks were in a separate class.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
              X