No announcement yet.

Results Using The New Version Digital MSD 6A & 6AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw 4 timing lights on Larson's Nova all reading something different, all different reputable makes, owned by reputable drag racers, so your mileage may vary. But I have had multiple timing lights on my car, and because I know where I've set the trigger wheel teeth on my balancer and the MegaSquirt commanding timing referencing where those teeth are, my own timing light can't be off more than a degree or two if at all.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      the timing just doesn't bounce around, it will also read wrong........
      How could that be? the "multiple spark discharge" happens at the same time a "single spark discharge" happens in a non-MSD ignition. If the sparks are sparking at the same crank angle, then it ain't the fault of your ignition if your light reads wrong.

Again, from experience a little newer than 40 years ago. :-))
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        I saw 4 timing lights on Larson's Nova all reading something different
        Welcome to the world of BigStuff3.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
          Aha, so Alex's experience is twofold: (1) he read it on the internet and (2) he once used a timing light on an MSD box back in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
            Welcome to the world of BigStuff3.
            Thanks BigStuff3 for a very hilarious 15 minutes of entertainment.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Also, it should be known that there is no such thing as a timing light that is "correct."

They are just like O2 sensors - each has their own personality (mechanical or electrical delay, in this case). The whole point of timing an engine with one is to use a light that produces repeatable results, then use it to find the best timing for the most power (if that's what you are looking for).

If I had a pile of ten lights, I'd expect ten different results on any engine. The only thing that matters is repeatability and consistency.

Comment

Working...
              X