emission testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emission testing

I took my truck in to have it tested and it failed the hydrocarbon part. it tested 4.73 and the limit is 2.20. I know the
    o2 sensor is bad so I got a new one, the problem is I broke the old one trying to get it out. I'll try and get that later. After a little research though, that might not have been the issue anyway.
    Eventhough it passed the visual inspection of presence of a catalytic converter, it doesn't have one. The previous owner probably removed it because I didn't. So, my question is, is 4.73 HC a lot? Would some new spark plugs and a cap & rotor clean it up, or am I going to have to put a converter on it?
    On the CO test it had 13.50 and the limit is 55.00 and the NOx it had 2.10 with a limit of 3.50
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Yeah, I used to do a lot of smog work and yes, your HC is on the high side and could be for a variety of reasons. While a tune up wouldn't hurt, a missing converter is really going to drag you down, in terms of HC content. Another thing, believe it or not, a fresh oil change could help slightly as well.
    sigpic"Take most people, they're crazy about cars† I'd rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God's sake."

Jerome David Salinger

Comment

The O2 might clean it up enough to pass, but the missing cat is hurting across the board.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm finding that a converter can reduce HC by up to 90% but regulations only require it to operate at 70% efficiency. So I think a converter would really help. I just don't feel like doing that if there is an easier way. I just changed the oil not that long ago, maybe 900 miles. Does anyone have any idea what percentage a tune-up could account for?
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Just get a few gallons of alcohol and pour it in the tank.....

To bad it's fuel injected, if it had a carb and you could adjust the timing I could tell you a few things to do........My '71 Camaro when I used to drive it passed Emissions with 2% on the CO, and 61 HC and I didn't have cats............ And that was a 10.5:1 350 with a 300 duration cam.........

Comment

I've heard about people adding stuff to their tank, but a couple of gallons?
            For some reason I'd like to be in full compliance......but my goal is really to get my license plate re-newed.
            Originally posted by TC

Comment

CH3NO2 maybe?
              Last edited by BBR; April 13, 2012, 11:59 AM.
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

LOL, I didn't see on my sheet where they tested for nitric acid.
                Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                  I've heard about people adding stuff to their tank, but a couple of gallons?
                  For some reason I'd like to be in full compliance......but my goal is really to get my license plate re-newed.
                  My friend had an 80's S10 the thing failed every year, he would put 3 gallons of Methanol or Ethanol in his tank with 10 gallons of gas and he'd go throw with flying colors.......... And I mean flying colors, it barely registered any readings.............

Comment

I just got a new set of spark plugs, cap & rotor, and an air filter... I have a new set of wires that I'll use too. I might try to put something in the tank too, but 3 gallons per 10 gallons? I'm leaving next week and the place is closed on Mondays so it might be a little while until I can get back there.
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

HC is usually the result of a misfire, high CO is running rich.

Put a converter on it and you'll probably fix it. But the tune up stuff is a good idea if it's been a long time. A flaky wire, half fouled or excessively worn spark plug, etc can make HC go up a bit like you're experiencing.

In the old days, it was fun to watch the needles on my 1970s Sun machine drop when the cat warmed up. 90% reduction in HC and CO is typical, sometimes more.
                      Last edited by squirrel; April 13, 2012, 03:14 PM.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I just got a new set of spark plugs, cap & rotor, and an air filter... I have a new set of wires that I'll use too. I might try to put something in the tank too, but 3 gallons per 10 gallons? I'm leaving next week and the place is closed on Mondays so it might be a little while until I can get back there.
                        You might get away with using less, but that is how we did it...........Made lots of old Benz's pass that way......

Comment

unplug an injector
                          go back.
                          without a cat it sounds raspy obnoxious anyway. what is a skip going to do?

Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            HC is usually the result of a misfire, high CO is running rich.

Put a converter on it and you'll probably fix it. But the tune up stuff is a good idea if it's been a long time. A flaky wire, half fouled or excessively worn spark plug, etc can make HC go up a bit like you're experiencing.

In the old days, it was fun to watch the needles on my 1970s Sun machine drop when the cat warmed up. 90% reduction in HC and CO is typical, sometimes more.
                            I changed the plugs and they all came out with a white chalk on them, the cap and rotor where a different story though. The rotor was so worn that it was noticably shorter than the new one and the termanials in the cap had a lot of build up on them.
                            Originally posted by TC

Comment

I changed the plugs and they all came out with a white chalk on them, the cap and rotor where a different story though. The rotor was so worn that it was noticably shorter than the new one and the termanials in the cap had a lot of build up on them.
                              white chalk..
                              how is the intake gasket.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X