No announcement yet.

clutch opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CenterForce is in Prescott, AZ where Remy lives............

Comment

I was using stock take-offs for the flatbed, got tired of changing them and bought one... Forget what brand but it didnt like the 12 k lb loads I hauled... Was given McLeod... Been in there over 5 years... Little stiff... (hip replacement on that leg) used Borg and Becks and diaphrams... Couldnt really tell much difference, but diaphrams 'seem' to last longer and quieter.
      Doesn't apply much to your case... But clutch is clutch... Or isn't it ??

Comment

surprised not more people mention Ram. I used alot of different clutches , but Ram, and McLeod have always been the best for me.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          I was using stock take-offs for the flatbed, got tired of changing them and bought one... Forget what brand but it didnt like the 12 k lb loads I hauled... Was given McLeod... Been in there over 5 years... Little stiff... (hip replacement on that leg) used Borg and Becks and diaphrams... Couldnt really tell much difference, but diaphrams 'seem' to last longer and quieter.
          Doesn't apply much to your case... But clutch is clutch... Or isn't it ??
          a real clutch will be annoying..
          the ambivalent games they play humoring every weight class of human is the clutch.

I am thinking of japanese cars right now..
          leg force of a puppy is the standard apparently.
          my own car did not get a clutch until spec made one.
          the car was 15 years old before a company made a real clutch.

I did learn to avoid zoomies and the ten brand names using the same disc rebranded.
          finding a brand that specializes would be a clutch for builders...the mass manufacture could care less what you got.

it is the clamp force .. the modern materials are great for discs..the weakass clamp is the only thing left.
          then when you get a clamp..some machines need a baked can to guide static from the interior, as it is quite a leap in dig, send some friction lightning.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 4, 2012, 10:57 AM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Its going to be hard to beat the McLeod dual disc.
            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
              Its going to be hard to beat the McLeod dual disc.
              I am so going to beat it like a rented mule. That is, whenever I get my car back

I decided to install it myself.... the dealership told me they'd install it for $120, but given my past experiences with them - I'm just not able to let them.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

just upgraded the clutch in my 04 GTO i went with a monster stage 2 clutch, or so i thought. that is what i ordered, 12 in stage 2. instead i ended up with a 11 inch kevlar clutch that they don't even show on the website. i call them to figure out what i even got. i've got somewhere around 600-700 miles on mine as of now with no issues. my car is no longer stock but not insane either. i needed daily driveability, but heavier clamping as well. clutch is stiffer, but not that bad at all. keep in mind the slave cylinders on our cars can be a royal pain. i have seen several horror stories on bleeding them. i had the dealership i work at do mine. (cheap labor for me) plus i could watch over it and help out as well. 92,000 miles on my stock clutch and it looked better than i expected coming out. you could still see the diagonal slots in the disc on both sides. i don't beat the ever living daylights out of my car, but it does get driven hard.

how insane do you plan on going with the car, and are you still planning on daily driver abilities? i'm sitting 500+. if you go much higher than that, be prepared to install a better rear stubs, and axle shafts. (assuming you got your rear end issues solved). driveshafts are not rated for a ton of power in our cars either. my need to upgrade to a one piece aluminum shaft.

i am stock rear diff and driveshaft with no issues as of now. but maybe a 1000 miles on car since motor done. if you go on the power tour, look me up if you wish to see my 04. almost guarentee it will be the only purple one there.

Comment

thanks for the info, I'd love to do powertour, but that's a 7k drive for me and I simply don't have the time.

I've heard the stuff about the driveshaft, and I think when I do the clutch I'll simply upgrade to remove the potential for problems

Yep, I've heard the horror stories about bleeding the clutch; but if you read the horror stories about trying to get this car fixed, to borrow a line from top gear - how hard could it be (by comparison)? I do know if it's too bad, I'll do the same upgrade I did to my skylark - put the bleeder outside the bellhousing - and that should resolve the issue(s).... crossing fingers.

It won't be a daily driver when I upgrade the power - so I'll probably get a bit insane, but it's years (read Spider and Sedanet away) from me doing anything to it.

Comment

I run a McLeod Street Twin (dual disk) behind my big block with the Viper spec T56. It's been easy on the leg and held the 572 with a 150 shot on top. Good quality parts.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

they're pretty too - too bad they'll be buried inside a bellhousing.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 8, 2012, 12:04 PM. Reason: now with picture

Comment

Little late for you but I run the step above stock in the Zoom clutch brand . Had one in my small block monza in my 20's had no problems with it . Put one in my 87 GTA behind the 350 about 5 years ago and have had zero problems with it and put one in my daughters v8 91 rs. So I guess I'm sold on them. But hey we are under 250 horses.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I had a car with a Zoom clutch, but I couldn't tell you now which one it was.... I always believe that if I don't remember, that means it was good - it's the junk ones that get my continued commentary.... which the last problem I had with one was in a 1 ton dually truck nearly 20 years ago....

Funny, though, the mention about heavy clutch - I drove the skylark today, and compared to the GTO it's clutch is really heavy.... but it certainly doesn't slip either - so it's all good

Comment

Working...
                          X