X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch opinions

Like it says - for my Pontiac GTO

The long(er) term plan is this:
    Sell the Skylark, sell the Corvette, use those funds to buy a cheap dd (or sell the truck and that list and buy a cheap dd pickup)

And make the GTO (LS2, 6 speed) far more race than street. There will be a power adder (probably turbo, but maybe supercharger) That said, I do not need a chattering clutch when I'm pulling out of the Seattle Symphony (or rattles).... but I do want a clutch that isn't going to cry uncle when I'm blowing past my audi driving friend at Pac. raceway

Right now, I can get the clutch installed (the transmission is out) for almost nothing - so it's time to upgrade

Do I: simply get a better single clutch? or
    Dual clutch? if so, what about McLeod? Centerforce? ACT? someone else?

Thoughts? any clutch to run away from? I like the price on the ACT dual clutch - only twice as much as a single, rather than 4-5x more.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I only know one, and like it..
    made in usa
    "spec clutch" for single disc.

drag racers and v8 must have choices galore.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

went with the McLeod dual clutch because it's supposed to be (this from talking to them, and to ACT) easier on sychros because the mass of the pressure plate and clutch are closer to the centerline of the flywheel.... I guess I'll see

Comment

Stock GM clutches of late are pretty darn good. Would a factory Vette clutch work?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Stick with heavy duty factory parts if possible.

Twin plates are o/k until you start to slip them, then the centre plate burns up in a hurry.
          Like many things, what works for racing, may either have a very short life on the street, or not be terribly driver friendly.

How much clutch you actually need has as much to do with vehicle weight, diff x first gear ratio, and how you drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            went with the McLeod dual clutch because it's supposed to be (this from talking to them, and to ACT) easier on sychros because the mass of the pressure plate and clutch are closer to the centerline of the flywheel.... I guess I'll see
            IMO you really can't go wrong with a McLeod clutch, they've been around forever..........I've also had friends that had good luck with CenterForce clutches........Though I haven't tried either, since I'm a slush box type of guy...........

Comment

My friend Brian had a '76 TA with a 455 4-speed with Nitrous, he ran a McLeod clutch and he never burnt it up, though, I'm not sure if it was a dual or single clutch setup.....I do remember it was a 3600lb clutch though.........

Comment

Centerforce clutches are what I've seen and heard of people using around here, in my little circle of awareness.

The Mustang guys who used to hang out at the lube shop went through a Centerforce phase, and ended up bashing the product because they didn't have the self discipline to go through the proper break-in procedure. Others who followed the break-in instructions didn't have any problems.

Comment

I love centerforce, but their single disc setup started at more than the McLeod, and their double was, coincidentally, double the price of the McLeod. I'm pretty certain that savings in price comes from not getting a flywheel with the McLeod set up, but as Scott said, the GM pieces are pretty good - so replacing it with an aftermarket piece may not be better and could (if chinese) be a whole lot worse.

Comment

I've used Centerforce and Hays clutches with about the same results. If you have enough suds under the hood...coupled with enough traction at the rear...the clutch will likely be the weak link in the chain. So expect to replace the disc periodically, along with the pressure plate because it too will become glazed.

What manual trans are you using? Is it up to the task?

Good luck.
                    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

I dislike centerforce - the local clutch rebuilder showed me that they basically take a stock pressure plate same mfr part numbers etc, paint it, and put the weights on the fingers (that have caused problems for lots of folks) and jack up the price. I've used his clutches with good results. I've also used Haye's McLeod and zoom - who are all probably guilty of repainting stock stuff and jacking up the price.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
                        I've used Centerforce and Hays clutches with about the same results. If you have enough suds under the hood...coupled with enough traction at the rear...the clutch will likely be the weak link in the chain. So expect to replace the disc periodically, along with the pressure plate because it too will become glazed.

What manual trans are you using? Is it up to the task?

Good luck.
                        2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0, 6 speed (t56)

Comment

You;ll love the Mcloed, i used the dual disc along with a 6speed tremec in a big block '66 chevelle last summer and there hasn't been a moments problem, flawless really and easy on the leg.
                          We're putting it to the stress test next month as the 632 is being delivered for it this week or so.
                          We used the Mcloed with the quicktimes sfi can, you'll need an adustable clutch fork ball - it would've been nice to know this before getting it all back together - as the t-o is moved around a bit.
                          Good luck.
                          A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Hmm, I have dang near 50,000 miles on the Autozone special Centerforce clutch. I have a new dual friction center force clutch ready to go in with the scatter shield.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have a Ram clutch in the Skylark, it works excellent - but it might have 1000 miles on it (if that).

That is good to hear about the McLeod

Comment

Working...
                              X