Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

th400 is tons better than a 4L80e

Comment

In my experience, all GM autos leak from the converter seal if you don't drive them.

Kevin

Comment

My 71 Vette's culprit was the shifter shaft seal, would look like a serial killer had been in my shop overnight. Thought it was my pan till I sprayed it down with degreaser and then starred at it till I saw a little drop.
        Last edited by corvettedad; June 16, 2013, 09:15 AM.
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
          My 71 Vette's culprit was the shifter shaft seal, would look like a serial killer had been in my shop overnight. Thought it was my pan till I sprayed it down with degreaser and then starred at it till I saw a little drop.
          I have the seal and I have now have a tool that can get it out so I'll do this when I'm under there next week. I really hope this is it because I don't want to put any more money into the SP400 but don't have the time to do the full on engine relocation, engine mount fab, trans wiring, and possibly header fabrication to keep from doing the driveshaft and trans crossmember job twice with the 4L80E. If I was very lucky I might could get away with a stock length shaft (mine is longer due to the engine being shoved forward to get the AC compressor to clear which isn't a problem anymore) and a slight modification of the stock crossmember but I don't want to go down that road till I have to out of desperation.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

My TH 400 leaks is not pan or rear seal, it leaks toward the front i took the fly wheel cover off no leak from front seal, If the pump seal leaks where can i find it leaking out from? Thanks Russ

Comment

Originally posted by russ crowell View Post
              My TH 400 leaks is not pan or rear seal, it leaks toward the front i took the fly wheel cover off no leak from front seal, If the pump seal leaks where can i find it leaking out from? Thanks Russ
              Shifter shaft, dipstick tube, Lots times, best wipe it down then watch for leaks.

Comment

there is an O ring around the pump, and there are washers on each pump bolt. The dipstick tube is a very common leak place. There is also a vent tube on top, on the pass side, that will spew if you over fill the trans.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                X