hard start 98 chevy vortec 454

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard start 98 chevy vortec 454

heres the deal 98 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 454 vortec,170000 miles. cranks and cranks and cranks until it starts ,has to warm up before it will idle. runs rough until its warm.repair history,new plugs ,wires ,cap , rotor,filters. has new fuel pump,new dizzy,new injectors,,has no check engine lights and has no codes stored.good parts no cheap off brand stuff...heres where it get strange... every one in awhile it starts with first crank..like nothing is wrong ... and a/c compressor cycles when a/c is off...

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
    heres the deal 98 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 454 vortec,170000 miles. cranks and cranks and cranks until it starts ,has to warm up before it will idle. runs rough until its warm.repair history,new plugs ,wires ,cap , rotor,filters. has new fuel pump,new dizzy,new injectors,,has no check engine lights and has no codes stored.good parts no cheap off brand stuff...heres where it get strange... every one in awhile it starts with first crank..like nothing is wrong ... and a/c compressor cycles when a/c is off...
    I see everything but a fuel regulator...........Usually if you have an extended crank after a vehicle as been sitting(like overnight) it's due to the residual fuel pressure in the lines bleeding off, which in most cases is caused by a bad fuel regulator.......
    Last edited by TC; December 10, 2011, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      I see everything but a fuel regulator.
      x2 Turn the key on/off a few times to prime the fuel rail, see if it starts easier.
      If it does replace the regulator diaphragm.

A weak fuel pump will do the same thing, but check the regulator first.

Comment

Did the vortec 454 have the same injection spider as the vortec 350? That is real similar to what my Yukon was doing when the injection spider failed ....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

the guys are on it, get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure it's hitting target pressure. Could be as simple as a dirty fuel filter. If you have good pressure then the next thing is to make sure the ignition timing is in the right place, no wires going to the wrong holes, etc. Does the check engine light work at all? maybe you have codes but some carb lover disconnected the light, we see that pretty often.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I think t/c nailed it..
            unless he installed an airtec pump then.................

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
              Did the vortec 454 have the same injection spider as the vortec 350? That is real similar to what my Yukon was doing when the injection spider failed ....
              No, Vortec 454's had individual injectors that were on the outside of the intake....I had a vortec 454 in my old suburban, even have the old intake sitting on a shelf, since i found a brand new one with all sensors and injectors on Ebay for less than the injectors would have cost..........

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                and a/c compressor cycles when a/c is off...
                Question is do you have the Heat on?? while it is doing this......Some a/c systems will cycle the compressor to maintain the temperature inside the vehicle, meaning if it's getting to hot in there, it's got to "cool" it down some how...........Now if everything is turned off they you might need a new A/C control unit.........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                  Question is do you have the Heat on?? while it is doing this......Some a/c systems will cycle the compressor to maintain the temperature inside the vehicle, meaning if it's getting to hot in there, it's got to "cool" it down some how...........Now if everything is turned off they you might need a new A/C control unit.........
                  If you have the defroster on , the compressor will run also.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

all climate controls off.....check engine light works when starting , goes off after start.will a fuel pressure regulator let fuel pass the injectors and flood motor after it is shut off? i dont think its a low pressure issue ... it smells rich after it starts and smokes like it...

Comment

leakie injector would do it.. run the truck with a fuel pressure gauge on it.. shut it down and walk awy till morning. the gauge should be still the same psi.. if not... the fuel is going somewhere.. back to the tank or in the engine..
                      can always take the air box hose off and crack the throttle and see if it smells like gas in the intake before you turn the key
                      Last edited by Stich496; December 11, 2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X