No announcement yet.

Bad lifter ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im going to check out the vac adv diaphram and take it out tomorrow night and see how it does.Im thinking lean too but because the intake valve isnt opening or opening properly or something .Its only that cylinder and there is no coolant smell or anything, I just took a look. I gave that rocker another 1/4 turn too and added some MM Oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      A hotter header tube is another sign of a lean condition.
      x2

also check to see if the pins the weights ride on are not grooved and holding the weights from free movement..

Comment

a simple vacuum gauge on the power booster port will tell if its a burnt/leaking valve , a shaky needle is a sign of that.

Comment

Vac gauge is steady and Vac advance is working . I just had it out and the problem is still there. Just fine when accelerating then level off to speed and it starts popping.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
            Vac gauge is steady and Vac advance is working . I just had it out and the problem is still there. Just fine when accelerating then level off to speed and it starts popping.
            how are the advance springs, and the pins the weights ride on, they are known to groove and screw with the mechanical advance

Comment

New mallory dist .Cant have 1,000 miles on it.

Comment

If you're confident it's not carb/distr related, sounds like time for a leakdown and/or pull the valve covers and check the valves. If you're having a sealing problem, the leakdown will be more helpful. Resetting the valves might identify a cam/lifter problem.
                Tampa, FL

Comment

I have had Unilite dizzy's go bad in short time acted goofy would pop and snap but mostly when hot at most speeds cold it was fine.
                  I have a good HEI I use when I think there is a problem just to rule it out but ya do a leask down and check everything over keep us posted

Comment

Ok I will dissect the dizzy just to make sure. Ive never done a leakdown test .Can one of you guys point me in the right direction for some instuctions? And a big thanks for all the help !!!!!
                    Last edited by antmnte; September 18, 2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Thanks found it here too

How To Perform A Leak Down Test - EricTheCarGuyhttp://www.ericthecarguy.com/At long last I was finally able to put up a leak down test video for you and the ...

Comment

Years ago I bought a 87 HD F250 that had a carbed 460. I got it real cheap because literally it was running on 1 cylinder and the owner was totally frustrated. I had planned on using the truck to haul stuff out to PA. Since the trips planned were 150 miles one way and the truck was unknown, I went through the engine. I replaced the carb because the $450 the guy paid the mechanic to rebuild the carb with a can of gold spray paint and clogged up the air bleeds. It ran now but still rough. I replaced the plugs, wires and timing chain mostly so it wouldn't skip while out on the hiway. It ran pretty well except for a steady misfire at idle and wouldn't pass emissions. It ran fine other wise, nice and smooth. I had even compression and the plug was firing but still had that misfire. I thought about it and the only thing I could think of was a bad intake gasket...and that's exactly what it was. 1 cylinder had a piece missing which would cause that cylinder to be too lean at idle and misfire but once under way ran fine. With the new gasket, that 460 was one sweet running motor that idle so smooth and passed emissions with flying colors.

I say you have a bad intake gasket causing that cylinder to lean out too much at idle and misfire.
                          Last edited by Huskinhano; September 20, 2011, 08:47 PM.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I am going to try and take it apart tonight, at least start to.

Comment

Great point on the intake gasket - they can fail on top where you can see them upon careful inspection with a flashlight - or they can fail out the bottom into the lifter valley and you'd never know without pulling the intake.

If they fail up - sometimes you can hear that cylinder sucking air while cranking the engine with the starter.... you need a starter button or a friend to crank while you're under hood listening - I had an EFI 302 in an '88 truck do that once.... once apart I was amazed it ran at all - nearly half the gasket between the upper and lower EFI manifolds was GONE
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

All right ,I took off the manifold heres what I found ,the gasket is intact but its got oil all over it (Both sides of the motor) so it seems it wasnt sealing properly (didnt show me that on the vac gauge) the backs of valves also are really cruddy. So what am I looking at here? The heads were milled when I had them done so that might explain the oil.Thanks again !
                                Last edited by antmnte; September 21, 2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X