• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by min301 View Post
    Never use a compression fitting on brake lines,
    or at least I won't.
    If you don't own a flaring tool, borrow one, rent one, or
    have someone you know do it for you with one.

Brake line pressures get pretty high, and compression fittings won't hold that high of pressures.

Better to be safe than sorry...
    Absolutely! You can get tubing cutters, benders and double flare kits reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; September 6, 2011, 08:49 PM.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
      i know brake pressure hovers round 3000 psi, I have all those kinda tools BUT I just cant seem to find the right fittings and I dont know where to look besides the local autoparts houses
      Dude, this is Houston, you can get anything in this town (except rain, apparently). There are probably 2 dozen industrial hydraulic fitting stores in town. Drilling rigs and Wellhead control panels use a lot of hydraulics. I'm sure that some of them stock stuff in the 3/16 size. The real obstacle is that they are only open M-F, 8-5

Comment

worst case scenario if you can't get to a 9 -5 establishment - mcmaster carr or grainger on line
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'll bet every auto parts store has them(flared fittings)

Comment

OK, time to do this again (I've made this post before). There are compression fittings and then there are compression fittings. Industrial compression fittings such as Swagelok or Parker-Hannifin are good to several thousand pounds and are completely safe for use in brake systems - but that doesn't mean your state inspector will know the difference. Hardware store (or parts store) brass compression fittings are NOT the same deal. If the ferrule is shaped like a barrel DO NOT use them in a brake system.

Russel's right - hardware store compression fittings caused my underhood fire in the Buzz Bomb (hope to get that straightened out over the winter). The ferrule nut actually split on one of my fuel connections and, with the push of a Holley Blue, sprayed fuel on the distributor. A little spark and BOOM! Hardware store compression fittings are no longer made in the USA and come from Sri Lanka or some such place. NOT TO BE TRUSTED.

Find your Swagelok or Parker dealer in your area if you really want to use compressions. I tried to cut corners and look what it got me - and that was just at fuel pressures. Don't be like Dan. And as the guys said, really you should go with flares although I've never had much luck making them at home. Maybe one of those hydraulic flaring tools??

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              OK, time to do this again (I've made this post before). There are compression fittings and then there are compression fittings. Industrial compression fittings such as Swagelok or Parker-Hannifin are good to several thousand pounds and are completely safe for use in brake systems - but that doesn't mean your state inspector will know the difference. Hardware store (or parts store) brass compression fittings are NOT the same deal. If the ferrule is shaped like a barrel DO NOT use them in a brake system.

Russel's right - hardware store compression fittings caused my underhood fire in the Buzz Bomb (hope to get that straightened out over the winter). The ferrule nut actually split on one of my fuel connections and, with the push of a Holley Blue, sprayed fuel on the distributor. A little spark and BOOM! Hardware store compression fittings are no longer made in the USA and come from Sri Lanka or some such place. NOT TO BE TRUSTED.

Find your Swagelok or Parker dealer in your area if you really want to use compressions. I tried to cut corners and look what it got me - and that was just at fuel pressures. Don't be like Dan. And as the guys said, really you should go with flares although I've never had much luck making them at home. Maybe one of those hydraulic flaring tools??

Dan
              sorry, I don't care if the compression fitting can take 100000lb it has no place on a cars braking system.. period!!!!!!!!!!
              to many don't know, nor care what the differences are, in the quality of the fittings from one to the other, and I've seen what happens when they fail.. and watchs shop owners loose it all.. in court..
              a jury of your peers will not care if it was designed to work at 5000psi if the law says no compression fittings on brake lines.
              Last edited by Stich496; September 8, 2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                sorry, I don't care if the compression fitting can take 100000lb it has no place on a cars braking system.. period!!!!!!!!!!
                to many don't know, nor care what the differences are, in the quality of the fittings from one to the other, and I've seen what happens when they fail.. and watchs shop owners loose it all.. in court..
                a jury of your peers will not care if it was designed to work at 5000psi if the law says no compression fittings on brake lines.

the only reason I have a flare kit is for brakes.. may not get a double, but my little 2300# ricer uses rubber grommets, with the flare.
                I found with the single flares, one can make the flare exactly as fat as the female entrance..a double flare cannot do that...unless a machine making them. I suppose that is another argument.

I agree about compression fittings. I used that once when I was a kid.. really silly outcome. In fact I think it was an inspector who said "those would be banned soon".
                that was the 80s.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Just replace the whole line, then you will always stop when you want to.

Comment

That's not always true with cars on the gulf coast... rust monster never sleeps. I've seen the pistons rust in the bores.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                    X