DISCUSS - brake line compression fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DISCUSS - brake line compression fittings

I battled some rusty brake lines cutting out bad sections and replacing them with new pieces in 2 bad spots under the car - the car is from IL and is RUSTY underneth - I drove around trying to get steel compression fittings for 3/16ths line and no one seemed to have them, I ended up using brass ones. Brass is softer than steel and I just dont feel comfortable using them since I just dont think they are compressing well enough

has anyone gone this route before doing something like this ?
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

I hate them, I have hard time getting them to seal. I like to use a brass coupling with a double flare. I would never use one for a fuel line I think that was what caused the fire one Dan's car.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Most brake systems, but especially the old ones have both brass and steel components, don't go gorilla on the tightening so you round, strip, or otherwise ruin perfectly good equipment and you should be ok.

Comment

Never use a compression fitting on brake lines,
        or at least I won't.
        If you don't own a flaring tool, borrow one, rent one, or
        have someone you know do it for you with one.

Brake line pressures get pretty high, and compression fittings won't hold that high of pressures.

Better to be safe than sorry...

Comment

i know brake pressure hovers round 3000 psi, I have all those kinda tools BUT I just cant seem to find the right fittings and I dont know where to look besides the local autoparts houses
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

id just do a union. i have problems with fuel line flares, brake lines, never. i dont know if its my tool or what.

Comment

In the state of Pennsyltucky. compression fittings are Illegal for brake lines . If you see one for state insp. ...instant rejection.

What size fittings are you looking for.
              Oh, almost forgot, all brake lines must be double flared, unless stainless using tube nuts.
              Last edited by ls7gto; September 3, 2011, 07:35 PM.
              Reading , Pa
              Good Guys rodders rep.
              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

NO Never Ever no no no

Comment

illegal in most states,, a laywer will love you if you hit someone because it fails tho..
                  Last edited by Stich496; September 4, 2011, 04:16 AM.

Comment

I've done it a few times and never had a problem, hell my one friend has been driving his truck for over 10 years and the compression fitting fix I did hasn't failed.....

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      NO Never Ever no no no

^^^^^

What he said!

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

1/8 npt Compression fittings work great for diy water pipes ... or so I've heard. That's about all I'd trust them with. I don't even like them for water lines at 60psi.

Autozone should stock Unions Part Number: BLU-5C at 1.49 and inverted nuts Part Number: BLF-41C-5 3.49 pack of 5. I'm not sure those are the exact right parts, but they should have straight lines already flared as well. If you've got the tools to do the flares, that is the way I'd go. If you don't have the tools, add that to the cost. They may even have the flaring tools that they will loan you for a deposit.

One thing I can say, and I bet I'm not the only one here who can say this... Make damn sure your nut is on the line and pointing the right direction *BEFORE* you make the flare. lol.
                        Last edited by Beagle; September 4, 2011, 07:57 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          One thing I can say, and I bet I'm not the only one here who can say this... Make damn sure your nut is on the line and pointing the right direction *BEFORE* you make the flare. lol.
                          I have no idea what you are talking about
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

X2

The last time I had to do one they did not have the nuts just the lines with them already on so I got another cut it up to get the nuts I not mine at the local napa

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

X2

The last time I had to do one they did not have the nuts just the lines with them already on so I got another cut it up to get the nuts I not mine at the local napa

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X