Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the easiest way to lower a chevy truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
    I ran 15" wheels with a 2" drop spindle... it'll work just fine
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3141[/ATTACH]
    Thats kinda the hight I was going for.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
      So, you don't think a 15" wheel will work with a 2" droped spindle? How much do you think I would have to cut/grind on the a/arms?
      It might just be better to leave the front alone and drop the rear 2".
      If you want to try just the 2" drop shackles for the rear, I'm pretty sure I have a used set. They're yours if you pay for the ride.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

By the way here is what a 4/6 drop looks like, it's a little too low for alot of trailer use unless you use air bags.

And here is a 2" spindle with the stock 15" wheel. It's also really close to the tie rod end.

79 malibu that hopefully makes it for 3000 miles

Made it with no breakdowns, missing 2012

Comment

Drop spindles are the way to go...don't mess up the nice stock handling by changing the roll center with short springs. I have a used pair with 5-lug rotors and calipers, here across the country from you, but you might check on shops that do off-road suspension sales/installs as most people are going "up" these days not "down", and they might have take-offs.

Flipping the rear makes it too low. "Drop" springs probably the easiest way to get a reasonable drop. I flipped mine then had to raise it back up a bit with fabbed/modded brackets, which was a pain. There's a stout c-notch and airbags for carrying a load.

Comment

I may be a little late to the party here, but on my '71 GMC I used 2 1/2 drop spindles, with 4 inch drop leaf springs and shackles that can drop it another 1 to 2 inches(I'm using the 1 inch drop), and so far the back of the truck with the 29x15.5x15 Hoosier's ProStreet Radials on it looks mean as hell.......

Comment

Originally posted by Phoneguy View Post
              The front suspension is different on an 88-98 chevy than an 73-87. A 15" wheel will rub the lower a-arm when turning tight without trimming it.
              are you sure you werent using a lowered control arm, I NEVER had a issue with using a 15'' wheel and a 2'' drop spindle on a 88 and up chevy truck. I did one for my freinds dad, he used the STOCK 15'' wheels that came on it, changed his tire size did a 2-4 drop

Some after market companys used a 2.5 and a 3'' drop spindle causing a need for "trimming" but running a DJM or Belltech quality stuff doing what ever "to make it work" isnt needed
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                are you sure you werent using a lowered control arm, I NEVER had a issue with using a 15'' wheel and a 2'' drop spindle on a 88 and up chevy truck. I did one for my freinds dad, he used the STOCK 15'' wheels that came on it, changed his tire size did a 2-4 drop

Some after market companys used a 2.5 and a 3'' drop spindle causing a need for "trimming" but running a DJM or Belltech quality stuff doing what ever "to make it work" isnt needed
                It was probably the back spacing on the wheel why it hit, the drop spindles I got for the GMC said not to use more than a 3 1/2 back spacing......

Comment

I dropped the front and rear of my 82 2/4 by using lowering spindles in the front and shackles in the back. Evened the truck out nicely. No rubbing to my knowledge, but then again, the 88 and later trucks are different. I also have lowered my 65 using springs and spindles in the front. Funny story about the 65- while "restoring" it, I cut 1/2 coil off the front pair of original springs. After driving it a while, I got tired of it handling like a pig and bought some 2" lowering springs. When I installed them, the front end came up and inch! I had to buy lowering spindles then....
                  Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                    If you want to try just the 2" drop shackles for the rear, I'm pretty sure I have a used set. They're yours if you pay for the ride.
                    I really apprecieate that, I just want to wait a little until I decide what I want to do, thanks!
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

Here it is, it's pretty rough, but kinda solid. What would you do?
                      Attached Files
                      Originally posted by TC

Comment

Ok, sorry for the jokes but I am sure Truckin has covered this a couple dozen times.

But my thoughts on lowering the Chevy Truck, Knock it off the cinder blocks in the front yard , let the air out of the tires, or depends where you are from, TARS, or just push the Dang thing over the cliff.

Comment

2/4 drop .... Maaco paint and get as many miles out of it that you can
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Make it a Gasser.
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I think 2/4 drop is a reasonable/ usable height to go with. It adds enough cosmetic difference w/o totally killing usability. I did the 2/4 on my '06 GMC with lowered spings in front and leafs in the back. Still stock wheels and tires but now it looks 'right'. I also C-notched the frame for extra clearance/ travel and added the Air Lift 'overload helper' airbag set with the little compressor and single gauge. I air the bags up to 80-90 pounds and it does fine with trailer and car behind it.

It rode really bad with the lowered Nitro 2 shocks that I originally bought but I talked with the Steve Duck from RCD at SEMA and ordered their modded Bilsteins. Man what a difference. My wife absolutely hated how bumpy the ride was when I first lowered it but now she doesn't cuss at me nearly as much about the ride...I mean now she's pretty cool with it. I wound up ordering a set from RCD for the Mustang I'm building her as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	856507
                              Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

It depends on what you want to do with it.

For starters, it looks like it has some tiny tires on it. Lowering the truck won't make them look any less silly. Larger tires and/or rims will help the look a lot. You've got to try to fill the wheel wells a little bit.

AFTER you buy new tires (and possibly wheels) take a look at it and see if you still want to mess with lowering it.

Comment

Working...
                                X