Homemade Smoke Test Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Smoke Test Machine

Yesterday, for the 1st time in the 5yrs I've owned my Cherokee, my check engine light came on.
    It appears there's an EVAP issue. I have to track down the leak, & I need a smoke machine, but they cost $1000. :D
    I've seen homemade smoke testers made out of paint cans & metal bottles/cylinders, & I've seen fog machines used too.
    I found one particular idea that looks pretty good, mostly because I have access to all of the parts for $0.00 8)

Here's a rough idea of what I want to do... using a metal cylinder, old glow plug & a cheapo 12v air compressor...

I found 3 good GM 6.2 diesel glow plugs, & a friend gave me a couple VW ones.

My friend says the GM 6.2 diesel glow plugs should not be run at a full 12v or they will fry.
    I'd need a ballast resistor or a LM7805 voltage regulator to step the voltage down to 5 - 7 volts.
    He says the old VW ones he gave me will run full 12v & last a long time.

What do you guys think? Anyone ever made one of these before ???

Re: Homemade Smoke Test Machine

Though I haven't tried it yet wouldn't one of those Halloween smoke machines work to.

Comment

the smoke form the smoke machines seems to dissipate quickly when it gets warm, when it is cold it hangs heavy. If you're going to use a Halloween type machine I suggest making the smoke flow thru a ice cooler filled with dry ice to keep it cool..also if you have respiratory issues be cautious around the smoke...when I use mine at Halloween it causes my asthma to act up.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

p0440 ? could be a leak anywhere actually . first thing to check is the gas cap , vent solenoid - visually check the purge line
        but , yeah , the really tough ones , I have to block the hoses

Comment

I have always wanted a smoke machine to test for vacuum leaks, but the $600 plus price tag has turn me away from doing so. So, I get this idea, to try and make my own; well... I purchased a fog machine from Guitar Center; they priced matched it to Amazon for $26.85, versus their $40 price...

Comment

Working...
          X