Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duratec V12

my kinda daydream.

the notice of 60 degree and v8 hardly goes correct.. the v12 is a great idea. they must have flubbed a crazy crank however, so a crank would need to be from some source with evenly aligned journals. Crazy as a 4.3 chevy...

the v8 , after all, is two inline fours made by an idiot.

I even found my "little" subaru boxer from the 1980s as a flat 12... (built by japanese themselves), they also made a flat 6 out of the four, much like porsches cheap history.

;)
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Couple them together back to back. Spin one engine backwards.

Just adding to the insanity. ;D
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
        Originally posted by Silver68RT
        I have to wonder how long a welded-together crankshaft or camshaft would last. I'd think keeping it aligned and straight while welding it would be a major problem. I don't know how Ford Racing did it when they developed the Aston V12, but I'd bet it was CNC'd out of billet.

Aston V12 in a Lincoln LS with a 6-speed would probably be a fun car. I love the sound of a V12.

I think I saw a Falconer V12 in a dragster once. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Falconer was based on the Rolls Royce Merlin. They're big bucks.
        hmm that might be easier then you think lol seeing as the LS is based off of the XJ i think that's what it is ???
        The LS (Jag S-type and Ford Thunderbird) are all DEW98's which is a normal unibody with a body and non stressed skin. The X305 and X308 XJ's are stressed skin monocoques that are glued and riveted together. That doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea however, though the 32.5in length of the motor would be an issue. I calculated that based off of the total length of a Duratec V6 minus the space taken by it's 3 cylinders per bank (3x bore spacing) then multiplied the bore spacing by 6 for the V12 and added the extra bits for the bellhousing and accessory drive. In reality it might be even shorter since the V8 front drive is even more compact. All in all it's shorter than a 4.6L DOHC motor and a bit narrower, however the 60deg V angle means it's also taller but a 3.0L Duratec fits under the hood so it could work. An X300 (92-02 XJ) would give you more room (early ones did offer the last of the V12's) and they did come with Duratec's in Europe I'm fairly sure during that time period).
        People have adapted the 8.8 IRS center section into the 1st Gen LS rear suspension but all suffer from a 5spd A4LD derivative for the auto trans and stick getrags aren't much stronger. The problem with adapting anything into an LS is that the computer system is a CAN buss and if you swap something you pretty much loose all the electronics because the ECM isn't there to approve everything.

On the crankshaft welding, that might be a weak link but if the Aston V12 kept the same bore spacing it would be a candidate for that usage. Something else I just thought of, dual thrust bearings. Would take some very precise measurements to keep those from conflicting and filling your motor with bearing bits. If the bearings are otherwise identical, you might be able to replace one with a standard bearing.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by hauen
          LS is based off of the XJ i think
          Close. LS, S-type Jag, and 2002+ T-Bird are all built off the DEW98 platform. As a small bit of trivia, the 2005+ Mustang also shares part of the same platform. I wonder if the LS and Mustang have the same hard points and you could put the suspension from the LS under the Mustang...hmmm, anyone want to take some measurements? Although Halloween is past, I think I hear the hoofbeats of the Frankenstang.
          no idea what that would be awsome IRS strang

and yes the LS was under apretiated. i still want one. there not fast but a nice ride with the 3.9L

Comment

all those LS are kind of rare

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              all those LS are kind of rare
              Not horribly rare, but not common. My green one is really rare, only made the colour 2 years. They are getting cheaper but not hugely so, the early ones were down on power and had some reliability issues. Later ones had more power and more features but still didn't sell well. I honestly love mine though it does need the coils replaced.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

it does need the coils replaced
                Ugh, coil replacement on a V6 LS, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Come to think of it, there isn't much in LS fixing I'd wish on anyone. That said, if your V12 idea gets off the ground, you have a platform to put it in anyway.

Comment

ford makes a v10 and they are not hard to come by , and are cheap

Comment

yes the v10 is based off of the 5.4 mod engine though so it is massive

Comment

A V10 is cool (been wondering how much potential is in the new 3V ones) but it's a truck motor and not a V12. There is just something so ridiculously cool and there is no smoother way to make power than a V12.

Judging by the displacement, this would be a horrible motor however for any real sort of displacement class based racing because at 309cid it's about as small a motor you can get while in the 5-6L bracket.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

CTX, do you have a link for that inline-6 with the welded together SB2 heads?

Comment

Originally posted by just_james
                          http://www.cdpautomachine.com/leo/cylinder_head.html
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

wow, thanks for the link. going to have to get a little more practice in with my welder, haha

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                              Originally posted by just_james
                              http://www.cdpautomachine.com/leo/cylinder_head.html
                              I'm not gonna lie, my pants got a little tighter looking at that. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X