LS1 in 1967 camaro alternator wiring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 in 1967 camaro alternator wiring questions

I have a 5.3 liter LS1 from a 2007 classic truck and the alternator has two small wires (one orange with a white stripe and one purple with a white stripe). I have been told that the purple is an excitor field wire and the orange is an indicator wire that communicates to the ecm that the alternator is functioning. My question is: Is there a way to hook up the dummy light in the stock dash by jumping off of the orange indicator wire or am I out of luck getting these two systems to work together? I have removed the voltage regulator and connected the blue and brown wires from the original 67 voltage regulator harness to complete a signal to the dummy light (I was doing this after reviewing the wiring schematic from GM). The alternator is the high output version for the LS1 if that is important.

Re: LS1 in 1967 camaro alternator wiring questions

is what I would do would be a test that will put the alternator in peril....

#1, hook up the alternators main hot wire. from there check to see if either the purple or orange wires are hot.
    If the white wire is hot, with a fuse inline, touch the purple to the main hot wire. if it doesn't blow the fuse check voltage at the battery. if it is charging then proceed to check the white wire that it is no longer hot.

this is just a guess at how it works. some other scenarios:

both the white and purple are hot, repeat test as above.

the white wire shows no voltage, check for continuity to ground, if continuity start it and and see if continuity remains

white wire is the exciter (unlikely)

Comment

This is what my factory manual says for my '99 Z28.

Your alternator should have 4 terminals, they would be P, I, L and S.

From the manual.

P: is connected to the stator and may be connected externally to a tachometer or other device.

I: can be connected directly to battery voltage to power the alternator.

L: Voltage must be stepped down to power the alternator.(input from ECM)(and you can not run 12volts to this terminal)

S: may be connected to an external voltage control, if the S terminal is not used, the internal gernerator voltage is used for control

As for my car it only uses one wire to the "L" terminal. If you are still using the ECM then your good, if your not using the ECM then you'll need to connect a 12v source to the "I" terminal to power the alternator.

And one more thing, look at the connector, it should have each wire location labeled.

Comment

Comment

07 1500 classic silverado

Comment

yes
            My alternator is a 2 wire connector plus the hot terminal which is a separate stud.

Comment

Sorry when you said LS1 I thought you meant the alternator was an LS1 alternator. Which would be a CS130.

Anyway looks like Spidey's got you covered. ;)

Comment

I have learned more about the alternator.
                It is a DR44 160amp high output for 5.3 liter 2007 and later 1500 series chevy trucks
                The alternator is "switched" on when the ecm sends 5 volts to one of the two wires in the two wire pigtail.
                The second wire conducts a 12 volt signal back to the ecm to tell it that it is charging.
                Now I just have to figure which one is which I guess by meter testing before I terminate any of the connections.

Any other ideas???

Comment

Originally posted by seered
                  It is a DR44 160amp high output for 5.3 liter 2007 and later 1500 series chevy trucks
                  The alternator is "switched" on when the ecm sends 5 volts to one of the two wires in the two wire pigtail.
                  The second wire conducts a 12 volt signal back to the ecm to tell it that it is charging.
                  Now I just have to figure which one is which I guess by meter testing before I terminate any of the connections.

Any other ideas???
                  The plug that plugs into the alternator should have the terminals marked on it.

Comment

enjoy it now , I think I lose access to SI after Nov 1

Comment

Originally posted by seered

Any other ideas???
                      I mis understood what was going on here in the first post. It seems that if you have 12v out when charging that when wired to the light in the dash it is going to be on when charging and off when not. You will need to run it through a relay to ground the dash light when no voltage is present. run the other side of the dash light to the fuse box.

this is assuming that it does not send 12v even with the key off (ie 5v reference dead) else you will need to add a second relay

may still need to return the 12v lead to the ECM, in which case a diode may be needed also.

Comment

Working...
                      X