MSD Rusty Reluctor Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Rusty Reluctor Wheel

What would cause the reluctor wheel on my MSD distributor to rust real bad. What can I do to keep it from happening again. Also would the relucotr wheel being rusty make my car seem as if it was only running on 2 cylinders? What can I do to clean the reluctor wheel and lets say I cannot get it completely clean will it affect my performance.

Re: MSD Rusty Reluctor Wheel

Ya got my attention! My car runs fine, but it is UGLY under the cap of my MSD billet dist. Same thing as yours...rusty reluctor, and even a little scale on the weights...can anyone kill two birds with one stone here?

Comment

Temperature changes cause moisture to build up under the cap and they aren't vented so the dew doesn't have anything to do except lay around on they reluctor and rust. I would think the rust would have to be extremely bad to effect how the car runs.....but i would still clean the wheel
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

here in Pa , we seen them come out of the box starting to rust. MSD says it wont hurt anything..... I have my doubts.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

As long as the magnet can see the difference between the fins and the gaps it will work. That's why I think it would have to be pretty bad to make a car run that bad
          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I just drilled the base and installed a small vacuum line.. that goes down thefirewall and hangs low enough to to work like an old tyme crankcase road vent.. it sucks all the moisture out of it..

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396
              What would cause the reluctor wheel on my MSD distributor to rust real bad. What can I do to keep it from happening again. Also would the relucotr wheel being rusty make my car seem as if it was only running on 2 cylinders? What can I do to clean the reluctor wheel and lets say I cannot get it completely clean will it affect my performance.
              it's more important that the pickup sensor isn't rusty, than the reluctor wheel itself.

Still, keep them clean enough that there's no physical contact between the reluctor and the pickup - I've seen this on a few LSR cars that have been to the salt... I don't think the rust "conducts" but, I know if it closes the gap to the pickup enough, it'll cause the symptoms you describe.

Also, make sure your rotor phasing is good,

-Scott
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Common problem mine did the same.

Comment

I'm of the thought that it's no real problem unless it's bubbling or something really really bad (I've never seen it that bad).
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

iron oxide -normal

Comment

My 70 Dodge Charger 440 been running odd lately, I was able to get a hr down the road and it stop and wouldn't start till it cooled down etc, replaced everything, fuel pump mechanical, cap, rotor, braided racing steel fuel line thinking fuel evaporation, plugs, wires etc, fuel filter, carb, all new msd system in it. its about 4 years old. And after all the trouble shooting and still breaking down episodes. I think I just found my problem. I ordered a new magnetic pick up module, MSD said thats only thing that would cause spark to intermit etc. So took it out and then on the end of the magnet I saw a broken piece of metal. I looked closer and it was a piece of the upper fin on the reluctor wheel. Frickking hell. So I say this was my problem to begin with. There is rusting on the magnetic pick up but not on the wheel. I feel MSD needs to make a better part. Its very pot metal like. Not so strong. SO found a new one to buy for 9 bucks and shipping to ireland total 34 dollars. So I wait for it and install it and I say my problems or finally sorted. A small tiny piece of reluctor wheel broke, a fin I call it only half a fin.

Comment

they dont need to make a better part, they need to invest in some coating. Simple black phosphate like bolts would make it last longer, plating would be better, hell E coat it and polish the edges if necessary.

Comment

Apparently if you buy an MSD distributor now it is protected.
                          If you have an older distributor send it to MSD and they'll coat it.
                          On the MSD forum a tech reply....

"I will recommend to send the distributor in for repair. For future reference drill 2 holes on the cap, 3/16" and 180 degree from each one.

This happens when the vehicle gets driven once in a while and gets park, since the 6 box produces a lot of heat inside the cap. When it gets parked, then it builds condensation inside and starts corroding the parts."

Mine.....

I still have this and the pickup is relatively new so.....why is´nt it protected ?

https://forums.msdperformance.com/forum.php

Comment

I´ve just had my distributor out and this is the state it was in....
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	MSD_8361_I.jpg
Views:	2609
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1176176 Click image for larger version

Name:	MSD_8361_II.jpg
Views:	2734
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	1176177

I´ve scrubbed it up as much as I can and replaced the pickup.
                            Tip: READ the instructions even if you´ve done it before.
                            I neglected to set the gap ´tween reluctor and pickup......had a gap
                            you could drive a truck through so the distributor came out again.

Not exactly sparklin´but it´s good.
                            I´ve also done the two holes in the cap 180 apart trick.
                            (Why that should work beats me, the cap has a breather in the top).

Click image for larger version

Name:	MSD_8361_III.jpg
Views:	2699
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1176178

Comment

we just switched away from the MSD to the Holly dual sync distributor and we actually have timing now. I found that adjustable rotor kit and found out that these MSD's must be bad enough that they need to make a rotor to correct them.
                              I really doubt the rust is a problem since its just the magnetic pickup, but our MSD was really throwing us off big time.

Comment

Working...
                              X