Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A833 Manual Transmission question

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
    does this tranny have different syncro's for the apps that used gear oil and ones for atf..

and if so what he use in the rebuild
    He didn't put any fluid in it as I R&R'ed the tranny myself.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      does this tranny have different syncro's for the apps that used gear oil and ones for atf..

It's an A833?
      What is the GM designation? Saginaw?BW?

Comment

Originally posted by min301

It's an A833?
        GM called it both A833OD and NP440. The RPO # was MY6. There were two types of the trans installed in the trucks from 81-86. One had the same bolt pattern as any Muncie, BW, or Saginaw and would bolt up to a standard GM bellhousing if you turn down the bearing cover. This is the one I have and it's bolted to a '621' bellhousing. The other had a specific bellhousing because the bolt pattern. It looked like the one on the left in this pic.

The bolt pattern. Does this look like the Mopar version. Notice it has the standard GM 10 spline 1 1/8 input shaft. The tailshaft housing is different than Mopars and it bolts right onto any th350 cross member.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You can try 10W30 too.

Comment

Originally posted by min301

It's an A833?
            GM called it both A833OD and NP440. The RPO # was MY6. There were two types of the trans installed in the trucks from 81-86. One had the same bolt pattern as any Muncie, BW, or Saginaw and would bolt up to a standard GM bellhousing if you turn down the bearing cover. This is the one I have and it's bolted to a '621' bellhousing. The other had a specific bellhousing because the bolt pattern. It looked like the one on the left in this pic.

The bolt pattern. Does this look like the Mopar version. Notice it has the standard GM 10 spline 1 1/8 input shaft. The tailshaft housing is different than Mopars and it bolts right onto any th350 cross member.

Scott, take a gander at this article. This may help...

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ion/index.html

Comment

Thanks for the link, Shannon. Many of the pics don't match the captions. Makes it a bit annoying.

According to the article, Brad Ocock says that it's recommended to use AMSOil Severe Duty 75W90 Synthetic.

Today, I drained the fluid out. First time it's been empty since I rebuilt it. Simply changing the fluid after all this time must be helpful. I used 75W90 Synthetic, but couldn't find Amsoil or severe duty in that weight rating.

While under the car. I wrote down the numbers. The case had C-15390 embossed on the side upside down.

The machined pad on the pass. side had these:

CBS138898
              14030811 3440

I'll have to report back on the driving impression. I only drove downt to the store tonight which is barely enough to get it up to temp.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Driving impresssion: Much Better!!

I'm looking at the lever and shift rod setup in this shot and notice that my reverse lever is pointing down. Looks like I need to do some more work. Crap.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X