X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why not build a 400 BB Mopar?

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
    I'm a g.m. guy..
    but , Other than the big bore. What does this engine bring to the table that a 6.2 hemi doesn't?

51 years of aftermarket technology.
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I'm a g.m. guy..
      but , Other than the big bore. What does this engine bring to the table that a 6.2 hemi doesn't?

Dude, have you ever see the insides of one of these? Makes me want to puke just a little bit. Good luck keeping the cylinders round when honing.

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary
        I'm a g.m. guy..

Dude, have you ever see the insides of one of these? Makes me want to puke just a little bit. Good luck keeping the cylinders round when honing.

dude if I knew mopars I wouldn't have asked...
        so we have 51 years of upgrading parts for it, and ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.
        Thanks that cleared that up..

Comment

I'm a g.m. guy..

To be specific, it brings a deep skirted block,
          big bore, short stroke, beefy bottom end,
          and much more airflow, not to mention
          a solid stable valvetrain.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
            I'm a g.m. guy..

thank you,
            and from a ford guy no less.. ;D :P

Comment

Ironhead,

Yeah, that was a bit vague.

Here's a good list of why the Mopar B-engine is a great choice:

1) The intake manifold has no water passages in it and utilizes a valley pan. This keeps the intake away from hot water and engine oil, thus keeping it nice and cool (assuming use of exhaust crossover blockoff). With a big block Mopar EVERY intake is an AIR GAP. ;D

2) The rockers are all shaft mounted. This ensures valvetrain stability in even the most extreme situations. Harland Sharp, Crower and Comp all make great rockers and shafts for this engine. No need for stud girdles.

3) The crankshaft in a big block Mopar is supported above the oil pan rail. More meat down low means better crankshaft stability.

4) Mopars utilize a 0.904" lifter diameter. This broad lifter base allows for some pretty radical camshaft profiles.

5) Cool stuff designed for max wedges and hemi's will bolt on the B-engine like aluminum water pump housings and Jesel camshaft belt drives.

6) Literally HUNDREDS of aftermarket high performance manufacturers offer up an endless pool of resources.

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                I'm a g.m. guy..

thank you,
                and from a ford guy no less.. ;D :P

When Muscle Motors first started, it was in my
                family's 2 bay shop.

I learned alot from Chuck Senatore, Mike Ware,
                and Eric Budden in the time they were in our shop.
                I was 16, they were there 8 hrs a day, plus I hung around
                with some of the crew at our local street racing scene.

Chuck has since gone off on his own, writing books
                rather than getting his hands dirty.

So basically, I'm a closet Mopar guy,
                but only the classic stuff, the new stuff is poop.

Comment

How do the combustion chambers on the good BB Mopar heads compare to the other engines that are known to do well?

Comment

The valves aren't in the perfect position but the chambers on Edelbrock and Indy heads are actually pretty good. I know the Indy heads can get down to at least a mid 50's cc chamber making piston design mucho better. I'm looking forward to seeing what Dulcich has to say on testing the new Edelbrock front-loader EFI intake...

Comment

Speaking of heads..... Has any one heard any thing about the 440 source heads?

Sorry about the hijack. Watching this thread with much interest.

Steve
                      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal
                        Speaking of heads..... Has any one heard any thing about the 440 source heads?

Sorry about the hijack. Watching this thread with much interest.

Steve
                        I am reasonably certain those heads are not a domestic product.

Ron

Comment

Some info...

Comment

The whole "EFI can run single plane but carbs have to run duals" rule, to me, almost ruins the spirit of the competition.

Why handicap the carb guys? if EFI wins, all you will hear from all the panzy asses on Speedtalk is "EFI needs a handicap to compare to a carb" which goes right along with all the other stupid wives tales that make carbs superior...

And if a carb wins, all you hear is "EFI sucks so bad it STILL can't beat a carb with a handicap"

Dulcich, if you're listening, you or whomever is in charge made a lame mistake. Someone should suck it up, and fix the rules. Just because a bunch of EFI-scared neanderthals couldn't bring a decent EFI competitor the very first year it was allowed, does not mean you need to give the EFI guys any special handicap. Give it a few years so that people who are into EFI, who've never even heard of "Engine Masters," can get up to speed and put on a good show!

/rant
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Before you jump in, it will be time well spent on understanding how the others won, then going from there in your own dirrection. What is considered normal power in engines does not work, at least from the guys I talked to about this with in years past.

I would be interested in getting in on this a bit, limited, with some people I know, that don't have the time to do it on their own, but more like consultents. We have talked about it for years and the same things always pop up with their time and DYNO time, being a big hold back. Let me know, feel free to PM me about it or not LOL.
                              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                                The whole "EFI can run single plane but carbs have to run duals" rule, to me, almost ruins the spirit of the competition.
                                With the risc of being un-informed yet, this sounds like the first nail in the coffin if you ask me.
                                Before you know it it's all about the driver... ehm builder, and not the engine-brand anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it IS also about the builder, but just as so as it is about the brand winning the series aswell.
                                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                                X