Why not build a 400 BB Mopar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not build a 400 BB Mopar?

So we're planning on doing the Engine Masters Challenge again and seriously considering a 400 Mopar. Why? 15 degree heads, big bore to lets the heads breathe, 2.25 intake valve, pretty decent intakes, pretty decent head castings. Why not? Please chime in.

BTW, cost is pretty much the same on any combination so I hate to say it but that is not really a consideration.

Also, broad sketches for this year are 11.5:1, 2500-6500 rpm avg tq + hp, hyd roller cam, if carb the dual plane intake, if EFI then you can use single or dual plane or front entry intake.

Re: Why not build a 400 BB Mopar?

Do it.It will give me something to work with. ;D

Comment

Are you considering the 400 Stroker (440 crank, pocket ported heads) idea?
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I seemed to have read somewhere in a mag that did. Why the hell not? Especially, if it was a freebie. It takes the same goodies as a 383, right?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

So it seesm that the logical way to look at it is what has been competitive for the last few years and therefore what can you do under the new rules (which I am not clear about at all)?

The CHI head 400 CU. IN, deals have dominated the top ten for three years so what does the 400 BB Mopar bring to the table? You have cited competitive valve sizes, similar if not equivilent valve angles and a bore stoke combination right inthe middle of succesful combinations. (successful meaning top 10 two years running).

So the questions are from my ignorant standpoint: do you have a reciprocating mass deficit? do you have a valve angle = modern cylinder head deficit compared to the CHI's and the LSX's? and last but not least do you have intake manifold deficit? I think you have a lifter diameter positive and a bore stroke ratio positive with a short deck motor.

Will the EFI rules let you use a sheet metal intake? Can you get the right rocker arm ratios?

All In all, I think you guys look good, but its all in the allowed cylinder head, no?
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Build it.
            I like the 383 -413-426-440.But with parts now days a 400 would could slay a 426/413 wedge
            terry

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary

if carb the dual plane intake, if EFI then you can use single or dual plane or front entry intake.
              Interesting. Cripple the carb entries with a dual plane, but let the EFI's use any intake.
              DG should like this ;)

Comment

I am a huge fan of the low deck B-engines. Remember, the 400 has the same stroke as a 350-361-383 Mopar with a coffee can sized piston. With a huge 4.34" bore, its pistons are larger in diameter than the 440. Herein lies the challenge: Get the piston weight down. If you decide to stroke this thing with a 440 crank (Jim Hale in Van Buren, Arkansas is a great source for parts and info) you can use a featherweight piston that will allow this thing to spin without all the excess piston weight and end up with 451+ cubes. The 400 block has a smaller diameter main journal than a 440, so bearing speed will be less in the B-engine than in the RB.

Indy, MP and others offer killer heads for this engine. Big block Mopars, by design, use a shaft mounted rocker arm system. This is a great setup for valvetrain stability and top quality roller rockers are available from a host of manufacturers.

Connecting rods are readily available in steel or aluminum. Heck, you can even take advantage of some Super Stock Hemi tricks and use the Honda bearings in the connecting rods. Ask Wesley, he makes the spacers for the bearing. Not cheap and not a piece designed for long bearing life, but if you are looking for every possible horsepower, they will help.

Intakes? If you absolutely, positively HAVE to use a dual plane, it is tough to beat the Holley Street Dominator. With a single plane, there are dozens of options and if I remember correctly, DF tested a pile of them and reported the restults back in the CarJunkieTV.com days.

I say go for it.

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Muscle Motors has an extensive line of kits specifically designed
                  for the low deck Chrysler stuff.
                  You might wanna give em a call((517)482-4900) ask for
                  Eric Budden, tell him I sent you-he'll be happy to help.

Comment

The 400 Mopar rules. Not only does it have the huge bore, small journal mains, and great valve angles, but you can also make them into 500 inches of low-deck fun. Stroker cranks for them make the common 500" stroker (well 499" actually) and they are a tough engine to beat. I like the idea.

I'll send DF an email and ask his opinion.
                    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT!!!!

These engines are becoming increasingly rare...I have read about these things making insane power with minimal effort...and with the right parts will walk a 440 or even a 426...I dream of building a monster stroker 383 someday but the 400 is a better candidate, I understand the block is more stout and there is more room to hog out the cylinder walls...
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Good to hear some interest in it!

Valid point about looking at what is up there at the top. The downfall there is there are some many conbinations that are so close up there that it is tought to nail down exactly WHY they finished up there. I think the rules guys made SURE that the same exact combos wouldn't reapeat and I like that. Certainly the CHI headed stuff is incredible ( or it was until Jon sold the company) - but - we would be 4 years behind the guys that have built those same combinations and would need to find a miracle to jump past them with the same engine. THe LS stuff again is awesome and since the rules are going to basically restrict the LS to EFI that should knock down Bischoff's engine a bunch but they are still a year ahead with the same combination. We're not afraid to go up against the same engines but clearly there must be other ways to skin this cat that haven't been looked at.

The biggest hurdle I'm looking at right now is hyd roller lifters. Comp has their new bad mammer-jammer lifters for SBC's but only a lamo for the BBM. To take advantage of .904 lifters with basically solid roller lobes under hyd roller lifters, I'll probably have to 'manufacture' a new line of lifters like Kaase did with heads to get them past the rules committee. Don't know how well that will go over. Who knows, I might be able to sell some.

Comment

I'm a g.m. guy..
                          but , Other than the big bore. What does this engine bring to the table that a 6.2 hemi doesn't?

Comment

You might want to check out the rollers that Brian Hafliger made of www.immengines.com
                            There's a pic of the roller lifters in the last reply in this thread at Moparts;

Maybe you could come up with a hydraulic version of these?
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I tried to look for a pic of the lifters you referred to but couldn't find one. I'll spend a little time on that board though and see what I can glean

Comment

Working...
                              X