Tubes or not? Screws or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes or not? Screws or not?

I'm getting ready for the new rims to show up. I picked up a set of those very nice looking Billet Specialties Street Lites that was on Denny's Camaro at DW, 15x15 backs and 15x3.5 front. I currently run the Mickey Thompson S/R's but want to switch to the Sportsman Pros 29x18.50x15 because I cannot get a wide slick in the 29" diameter. The Sportsman Pro is touted to be basically the same compound as their slicks use and I noticed them on a couple of the cars during Drag Week.

So my questions are:

1. Do I run tubes with these or not? I'm getting conflicting opinions from some of the local racers.

2. Do I drill the rims and use screws to hold them in place?

If car specs make a difference, the Marauder weighs in at 4400 with me in it, I have 4.30 gears and the do not know the horsepower yet, but I dropped it off yesterday to get a BigStuff3 put in and dyno'd with the nitrous system. I'll know that in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

John

Re: Tubes or not? Screws or not?

I just stuffed a set of new 29 x 18.50 Sportsman Pros under the Camaro. I'm running without tubes (used Dawn to paint the inside of the tires) and will be using screws. The Camaro weighs around 3600 lbs (I think, will hit the scales soon), has 4.10 gears with a locker and pumps out something over 725 hp. I opted to do the bead locks** because I didn't want to run tubes with these tires and didn't want to spin inside the beads. With this lower hp it may be overkill on my part but I figured better safe than sorry. Added to this of course is the pain of having to drill holes in your new wheels. Btw, I'm using Weld ProStars, 15 x 3.5 fronts, 15 x 14 rear.

** Besides, bead lock screws look bitchin on a street ride ;D

Comment

Did you look at Hoosier and Toyo?
      I suspect you looked at goodyear and M/T

Comment

More questions:

Just curious, but why did you paint the insides of the tires with Dawn if you are running without tubes?

Do your tires leak down with the bead locks and no tubes?

When you put the bead lock screws in, do they embed themselves into the tires?

It's pretty obvious I'm green when it comes to this type of thing!

:D

john

Comment

Originally posted by seered
          Did you look at Hoosier and Toyo?
          I suspect you looked at goodyear and M/T
          I checked Hoosier but not Toyo. Having just looked at their site, they don't make a wide 29" slick either.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

John

Comment

Originally posted by ProRauder
            More questions:

Just curious, but why did you paint the insides of the tires with Dawn if you are running without tubes?

Do your tires leak down with the bead locks and no tubes?

When you put the bead lock screws in, do they embed themselves into the tires?

It's pretty obvious I'm green when it comes to this type of thing!

:D

john
            I'm green too <g>

-Dawn seals the inner surface of the tires, preventing air leakage, especially throught the thin sidewalls.

-The screws should'nt actually go all the way through the tire beads - you can pick up screws at Summit, Jegs, etc., which are the correct length and specifically for this use

And, I needed to have streetable DOT tires for my ride, not just slicks. That really limits what's available for higher hp applications. I would assume thats why John is looking at Sportsman Pros for his Marauder.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the tubes... Even with baby powder in the tire, tubes can bunch up and put your wheel out of balance and it usually takes quite a bit of weight to offset the valve stem side of the assembly with tubes. I would invest in some screw in valve stems and bead screw kits. The bead screws screw into the rim so don't drill your holes to large!! They are short pionted screws that when screwed in the piont sticks into the bead of the tire. When I mount a new set of tires I put a dab of clear silicone in the bead screw hole before I put the screws in as I have expeirienced small leaks at the hole from time to time. I hope this helps! BTW it sound like there's gonna be a lot of rubber on the quarter panels 8)

Comment

After fighting air leakage in my M/T streets I installed tubes and they hold air a little bit longer.Before installing screws may want to see if the tire moves on the wheel first.

Comment

So to summarize, these screws "self-tap" into the tire when you screw them into the rim. Do you "max" inflate the tire to hold the bead to the rim or is that over-analyzing the install?

Again, the only reason I asked about the tubes in the first place is because M/T recommended tubes when you order the tires. If I don't have to I won't.

And yes, I hear PAM Cooking spray is good on the back quarters to make the rubber easy to remove!

Keep the opinions and tips coming. I'm sure there are others like me here that wonder how all of this is done.

John

Comment

So to summarize, these screws "self-tap" into the tire when you screw them into the rim. Do you "max" inflate the tire to hold the bead to the rim or is that over-analyzing the install?

Again, the only reason I asked about the tubes in the first place is because M/T recommended tubes when you order the tires. If I don't have to I won't.

And yes, I hear PAM Cooking spray is good on the back quarters to make the rubber easy to remove!

Keep the opinions and tips coming. I'm sure there are others like me here that wonder how all of this is done.

John
                    I've been told that you should over-inflate the tires when setting the screws so that you get a good bead lock when they bite. True / false ? Dunno, but it makes sense. Be careful not to leave your tires over-inflated tho, unless you want them to permanently grow. ALSO - be sure to drill the rims with the tires UNMOUNTED. Don't ask me how I know this because I'll just ignore the question.

And: 67rs/ss - Why did you have problems with leakage ? Did you coat the insides of your tires prior to mounting without tubes ? I've not had any problems with running these Sportsmans tubeless after having used a liberal amount of Dawn detergent inside of them. I'm asking cuz I don't know what other problem there might be - I'm green with this stuff too.

Comment

I coated the tires with dawn and mounted them but I had a few screws that were pushing the bead instead of pulling. Finally got all the screws to seal well and thought all was good but found that after loading car in trailer at 13psi to go home when I opened door to unload the next morning the tires were flat. So I installed tubes now they will hold air for about a month at 20psi but still loose some pressure.This is with ET streets.

Comment

Originally posted by 67rs/ss
                        I coated the tires with dawn and mounted them but I had a few screws that were pushing the bead instead of pulling. Finally got all the screws to seal well and thought all was good but found that after loading car in trailer at 13psi to go home when I opened door to unload the next morning the tires were flat. So I installed tubes now they will hold air for about a month at 20psi but still loose some pressure.This is with ET streets.
                        Dang, that sucks. Remind me not to park next to you in case that's contagious. <g>

Comment

This is why I put a little dab of silicone in the hole before I put screws in!!

I've been told that you should over-inflate the tires when setting the screws so that you get a good bead lock when they bite. True / false ? Dunno, but it makes sense. Be careful not to leave your tires over-inflated tho, unless you want them to permanently grow. ALSO - be sure to drill the rims with the tires UNMOUNTED. Don't ask me how I know this because I'll just ignore the question.
                          It's amazing how fast a sharp drill goes thru rubber! :o

Comment

Originally posted by Dans 83
                            This is why I put a little dab of silicone in the hole before I put screws in!!

It's amazing how fast a sharp drill goes thru rubber! :o
                            Yes. God bless modern adhesives.

Comment

Tubes, if the tire maker says to use em. If yes on tubes, screw the tires to the wheels. No tubes, and the tires slip? No tearing of the valve stems to worry about. But, I'd mark em and see if they're rotating. Depending on how violent the launch, I've had OK results just screwing the inside bead so as not to ruin the look of the wheel on the outer side
                              I'm getting ready for the new rims to show up. I picked up a set of those very nice looking Billet Specialties Street Lites that was on Denny's Camaro at DW, 15x15 backs and 15x3.5 front. I currently run the Mickey Thompson S/R's but want to switch to the Sportsman Pros 29x18.50x15 because I cannot get a wide slick in the 29" diameter. The Sportsman Pro is touted to be basically the same compound as their slicks use and I noticed them on a couple of the cars during Drag Week.

So my questions are:

1. Do I run tubes with these or not? I'm getting conflicting opinions from some of the local racers.

2. Do I drill the rims and use screws to hold them in place?

If car specs make a difference, the Marauder weighs in at 4400 with me in it, I have 4.30 gears and the do not know the horsepower yet, but I dropped it off yesterday to get a BigStuff3 put in and dyno'd with the nitrous system. I'll know that in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X