07 Nissan Frontier codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 Nissan Frontier codes

JP's truck's check engine light is on. It currently has P0420, and has some times shows P0463.

I am not as worried about the P0463 most said it was the tank sending unit.

Been using my Google fue best I can tell the P0420 is either the catalytic converter or oxygen sensor. Seems like most people said they needed to replace the converter.

I am assuming it would be the down stream O2 sensor?

Is there anyway to test the oxygen sensor?
    Last edited by Russell; June 28, 2017, 01:14 PM. Reason: So of those sentences didn't make sense.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Sounds plausible, I'd go with that ... and I'd try to take the rearward o2 sensor out and break it when I did, so then I'd go ahead and replace it. Right before I ordered a cat for it. That's the way things roll for me. Rockauto loves me.

There was a write up on itstillruns.com for o2 sensor testing, but I think just planning on replacing it might not be a real bad idea. How many miles?
    Last edited by Beagle; June 28, 2017, 04:27 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

This is a way to test them

On a gasoline engine, an oxygen sensor is used to ensure that the proper air fuel ratio is reaching the engine. Some automobile manufacturers recommend that oxygen sensors should be replaced once every 100,000 miles whether they are working or not. However, this can be very expensive, especially since many newer ...

Just remember, the reason you get a code is that there is no temp change from the before converter to after converter. So it does make sense to check, although 10 years if 1 went, both are probably close.

I just did a simple 19.99 laser thermometer test to verify the converter by checking temperatures, I mean if you are down there and the converter is glowing, its bad.otherwise its just a little slow which should show you a bigger temperature difference between front and back.

Comment

It's got 170k+ miles. I read the test I am not sure which wire is which, there are 4 wires black, gray, and 2 whites. If it's dead I can see how that would work but the down stream O2 sensor should not change as much if the cat is doing its job, right?
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I talked to a guy at a manufacturer, pretty sure he said one white and the gray were the heater. Its a 12 volt heater that gets the temperature up before the exhaust can heat it enough to read. so the other two are a signal and a ground. one wire sensors just have a black wire.

Comment

Working...
          X