Oil And Transmission Cooler Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil And Transmission Cooler Placement

There is an engine heat problem following me and I think after several years of head scratching I´ve found the reason.
    Both my B/M coolers are mounted close in front of the radiator and do their job very well but I think the close proximity to the engine radiator is restricting air flow.
    As I drive 60 engine heat is 180 degrees but on accelerating up to 80 the temp goes up as fast as the tach to 210 degrees and the car becomes crappy to drive, surging and hesitation.
    Last week on the freeway just going up a long incline caused the temp to rise and I had to put the trans in neutral while coasting down the hill on the other side.
    That bought the temp back to 180 and driveability.
    The rad is a two row one inch tube aluminum piece from Jegs.
    So the problem is airflow into the engine rad at speed, so where do I install the coolers ?
    There are big spaces either side in front of the front wheels so with bracketry and replumbing that is more than likely where they´ll go, upright even.
    I´ve also got small 8 inch fans might attach those too......
    Now the next problem is finding time.....

Trans cooler

Engine oil cooler

There IS a limit as to how much stuff you can pile in front of the rad and still have it work properly. I'm lucky as I only go WOT for a mile so I skipped the oil cooler and the manual trans seems not to get TOO hot (I've reached under and touched it after a run - probably ought to shoot it with the IR temp gun). It might be interesting to move them temporarily (maybe zip tie them someplace) and see how that works. I suspect you're right on their temp impact, though.

Dan

Comment

On my wagon, I mounted them under the headlights with air flow through them into the front wheel wells. I cut a hole the same size as the core of the cooler in the panel between the front of the car and the wheel well so there was no restriction in air flow - I am not using fans on them.

Comment

my truck is stacked and challenged..only odd thing I see on your setup is criss crossed fins.
        try stacking them parallel.

is that an old 350?
        they run hot by nature. A proper cooling will still see a climb to 210 and surge to a monster cooling.
        No real win.. just stay in limits.

I wimped out and kept a 305 vortec asmy last small block, ever. I will never have another version.. got lots of miles to keep my opinions.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have mine mounted in front of the wheels on the Riviera. I'm going to put expanded metal guards on them though since I'm paranoid about dumping oil or trans fluid in front of the tires and effectively having no brakes on that side of the car if debris hits them. Most of my plumbing is hard line so I had a lot to redo when I went from a SP400 to a 4L80E. Your hoses should be much easier.

Now the down side of this is your dumping more air into the wheel well which will create more drag and front end lift but its a price to pay.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Good point on the fins but they must be mounted so.....inlet on the bottom, outlet on top, that way
            there won't be any air trapped in the cooler.

Comment

I ordered some AN fittings and 6 feet of -6 braided hose from Summit two weeks ago
              .........the hose might be in next Monday.......

Comment

I was told by the guy from Rhino that you still want to run the trans cooler thru the radiator because the hot water will take more heat away than just air. Ended up doubling up anyway, thru the radiator, 6 pass then a 2 pass.

Comment

all depends on ambient air temp and surface area... trans coolers are in radiators to warm the engine and trans up faster for emissions requirements and to prevent issues with cold weather climates....we bypassed the radiator trans cooler and added a B&M super cooler on our grand prix, and even with record heat, the trans never got over 180 in Kansas city traffic on HRPT... never over 150 on the open road....
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

My rad does not have the trans "cooler" feature but both coolers are regulated by thermostats that fully open at 180.

Comment

just re reading this and see you have been chasing this for years. Makes me wonder how much slippage is happening in the trans and causing excessive heat.

Comment

Trans temp. tops out at 180, it was rebuilt last
                        year in May.....the guy told me the internals were okay but I did it anyway with upgrades.

Comment

When I got my 89 mustang it had a recent tag from a radiator shop. Later on I was having cooling issues. "Can't be the radiator it's been cleaned out" I forgot about the time factor it had been YEARS! It was so clogged up the few tubes that were open looked like a pressure washer. New rad fixed it. Don't be like me and make assumptions
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Finally the oil and trans coolers got new zip codes, they moved forward off the radiator onto the bumper crossmember.
                            The install is a bit iffy but if it does the job it´ll do for now.
                            Stay tuned for test drive......darnit the weather´s gone cool on me...

Trans cooler.

Oil cooler.

Underneath.

Comment

Seems like that ought to help. Keep us informed, please.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X