Old Plow Truck issue with ABS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Plow Truck issue with ABS.

Friend picked up an 98 Dodge Ram 1500 that was an ex-plow truck for cheap. The problem now is the ABS light and the e-brake light are popping on and off when he is driving it. I tried to code-scan it for ABS codes and came up with nothing, grabbed another scanner from a mechanic we know and the same thing nothing.Checked wiring and everything checks out good.

Anyone got an idea where else we can check?

"I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

This may sound dumb but I'd start by checking the E-brake switch. If the brake actuator is a tad loose it can bounce and turn the light on and off. Truck is a 3/4 ton but I suspect that part is pretty much the same.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      This may sound dumb but I'd start by checking the E-brake switch. If the brake actuator is a tad loose it can bounce and turn the light on and off. Truck is a 3/4 ton but I suspect that part is pretty much the same.

Dan
      I'll check that the next time I see him, I'm still sore from the last under dash limbo on the 72 cause the headlight on reminder stopped working.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

if you got all brakes, go with it.
        96-99.. the abs was not quite implemented for obd2 correctly.. unless it was a saturn.

I added a seatblet light to my 96 truck and have a half lit abs.. found that quirk all the way to 2004.
        8 years of half lit idiot light.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

We have had chevys where I went to a mechanic right after I bought a car, got charged for an ABS inspection, ended up the charging system was the problem. Seems the ABS was on top of the list of the trouble lights that come up as soon as voltage starts to drop. It might start fine and seem to charge fine, but the additional load from the plow to the alternator might have it right at its limits or running just under where the ABS lite goes on since its a critical safety issue.

Anyway, each ABS check I have done since has started with the alternator.

Comment

How's the pedal feel? I've had this happen on early ABS equipped Land Rovers when the master cylinder is starting to leak by.

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
              How's the pedal feel? I've had this happen on early ABS equipped Land Rovers when the master cylinder is starting to leak by.
              The Pedal feels fine, not spongy at all.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                We have had chevys where I went to a mechanic right after I bought a car, got charged for an ABS inspection, ended up the charging system was the problem. Seems the ABS was on top of the list of the trouble lights that come up as soon as voltage starts to drop. It might start fine and seem to charge fine, but the additional load from the plow to the alternator might have it right at its limits or running just under where the ABS lite goes on since its a critical safety issue.

Anyway, each ABS check I have done since has started with the alternator.
                That's one thing I didn't think about.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Been thinking about this and I think it was the Dakota that flashed the light like you described. By accident I found that if I lifted the E-brake pedal with my toe the light went out so that's how I came up with a possible fix (think I added a spring when I got home). Like I said before, worth a try and it's free.

Dan

Comment

I had a Dakota with the same thing. Turned out to be the vehicle speed sensor on top of the differential. Also the speedo would go to zero when under twenty mph.

Comment

Thanks for all the inputs guys, I haven't seen him this week. he's been busy getting ready for some car shows and I'v e been working on the 72 with my days off and even after work now.
                      Last edited by Runner1972; June 22, 2017, 10:24 AM.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Working...
                      X