67 Camaro front brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 Camaro front brake upgrade

I've got a 67 Camaro with stock control arms and drums on the front.
    The plan is go to discs but there is such a range out there that I'm having a hard time deciding.
    If you've done this and have a comment toss it out there. Just looking for some insight.
    Thanks
    CC Nats 78, 79, 82, 83
    Finished Drag Week 06, 07, 14, 15, 16
    All in the same car

68-72 Nova, direct swap.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
      68-72 Nova, direct swap.

yep, this right here--as well as other "X" bodys
      of the same time frame-- like.....
      omega
      ventura
      skylark (i think...)

they used the exact entire front subframe as the 67-69 camaro.

Comment

NOVA--Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
          The Apollo was named Skylark in some situations, maybe by the year? Like Randal's car. Mom had an Apalling - er - Apollo. Having worked in a Buick shop I didn't consider it a REAL Buick. I think Buick spread that Nova jam a little too thin but yes, it does give more possible donors for brakes.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post

nice--i will have to remember that one.
            thanks!!!

Comment

Sounds to me like you are looking at aftermarket which are mostly unnecessary unless you are going racing or just have money that you do not know what to do with. But other than the aforementioned you can also use 68-72 GM A-Bodys by swapping your stock Camaro steering arms onto the A-Body spindles. A-Body = Chevelle, Skylark, Cutlass/442 & LeMans/GTO. Stay away from the dual piston calipers (mostly 1968) though. Expensive to replace because of the limited number made.
              Last edited by 67 Malibu; May 30, 2017, 06:58 AM.
              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I put an e-bay kit on my '69 Firebird that had manual drum brakes and now it's manual discs. I just verified it didn't have a hold off valve for the wheel cylinders up front (it was supposed to but there wasn't one) and it's been working great. The drum brakes worked just fine for me, a wheel bearing toasting the spindle forced my hand to change to disc and they work quite well too.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The kit I bought was 4 wheel disc. We wanted to powdercoat the calipers so I asked what they were off of since they did not sell the new seals for the calipers. They said the calipers are off a 69 Camaro, the rears were off a 79 Eldorado.Of course, that mimic'd their new brackets, but pretty sure they were just copied from the stock ones to your spindle location.

I went thru Right Stuff. They did sell me one caliper and one bracket when we changed to the staggered shock locations, so basically you might be able to get pieces.
                  Last edited by anotheridiot; May 30, 2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I went with right stuff just up front...........master cylinder, brake booster, proportioning valve, 2 piston i believe. car still doesn't stop worth a damn. I'm going to try a vacuum booster though and see if that helps. Keep us updated when you do the swap. I'm disappointed in the 850 or so dollars i spent on the kit and i wonder if theres something in a line that is keeping the brakes from locking up or if that is just how a stock style setup works.
                    Last edited by pontiacpower; July 16, 2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

did you change the master cylinder or proportioning valve. We finally got the air out of the proportioning valve a couple weeks ago so the finally locked up. We tried to get some 79 cadi eldorado drilled and slotted for the back from Centric but they were about 5/8 shorter and probably 3/16ths thicker.and threw off all the mounting. So after bleeding forever again the fronts finally locked up and will hold for a long smoke show.

Comment

Back in the stock car days, a lot of us ran Novas and the 'yards were full of disc brake donors. If you had a junkyard sponsor, they'd drop an entire clip off at the shop... sooner or later we would need one. Now all those parts are gone unless you find an old place out west.

Comment

Working...
                        X