Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fans and such....

So here is what I have done.
    On both my systems I have electric fans to cool the truck and Impala. The truck has a set of Camaro fans which run one with temp senor and the other with the AC compressor fan switch.
    When I turn the AC on in the truck a relay kicks on the high speed fan for evaperator cooling to get the AC nice and cold which it is at 40* and that's with outside temps in the lower 90*.
    Now what I'm getting to is the fan is also wired to a Golf Cart micro switch on the front grille area that I mount a paddle to it so that once the truck is moving it will automatically cut the electric fan off since at speed you don't need the Electric fan any more. In the truck it's around 25MPH. Once you slow down under 25 it will come right back on. I added a small LED light under the dash to let me know when the fan is running. This saves the motors on the fans and should make them last a lot longer. I just did the Impala so I haven't drove it yet to see when it cuts off and on.
    I know what your thinking a Golf Cart micro switch! Yes a G/C switch. They work fine and if it quits it's cheap to replace.

I just finished up the one on the Impala and did a video of it. It works great. The car sat in the garage for 10-20 minutes running the AC and it was 38* and the motor never went over 190*. It's wired with the low speed fan on with the AC. The loose wire is the high speed which I'm going to wire it into the system to manually over ride the system when I need it.
    I'll post that when done. I hope this helps you guy's with electric fans out and keep from spending a bunch of $$$$$$$$$ for probes and senors.
    :chevy:

The micro switch cuts the AC off when up to road speed.
    Retirement is better than I thought!

cool! Literally cool!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

At :48, there appears to be a paint roller in front of the radiator on the passenger side............is that something revolutionary, or just a convenient storage place for it?
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Why run the clutch fan?

I feel inadequate using a off / on switch for my electric fan...

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          At :48, there appears to be a paint roller in front of the radiator on the passenger side............is that something revolutionary, or just a convenient storage place for it?
          The roller was to hold the hood up just enough to keep it off the battery charger while I was charging it over night. I can't have the hood all the way up when I shut my garage door because the signs I have hanging on the door will hit the hood as it comes across.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
            Why run the clutch fan?

I feel inadequate using a off / on switch for my electric fan...
            Harley I hope you have it ran through a relay also. These fans can pull some big amps which would fry a normal toggle switch!

The clutch fan is more to keep the motor cool Harley! The electric is to pull more air across the evaperator when in traffic and red lights to keep the AC cold and at a nice steady temp inside the car. The AC temp stay's at 38* just sitting still which is what I want. The more air pullled over the Evaperator the cooler the AC will be the head pressure in the system will stay where it runs at it's max performance and not blow the hoses off. With it wired as I have it I don't have to remember to flip the switch it does it by it's self.

Comment

Its on a relay, we are low tech around here, but not that low tech. I probably need to change it, had the thing under water coming home from Cars & Cones. Fan stopped working for a while, then came back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                Its on a relay, we are low tech around here, but not that low tech. I probably need to change it, had the thing under water coming home from Cars & Cones. Fan stopped working for a while, then came back to life.

Under water! You have a car Harley not a boat! Well sorta maybe. Yea I saw where ya'll had some rain that last night.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood holder.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1160274

Talk about high tech! This is all it is.

Name:	Electric fan micro.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1160277
                  Last edited by Andy4639; May 25, 2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance...but where on the golf cart is the micro switch used?
                    I've never sat in or rode in a golf cart!

When we use fans on derby cars, we use 60 amp breakers or fuses at the batteries. No alt. That way no matter where the fan/system is breached, the circuit stops before the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Excuse my ignorance...but where on the golf cart is the micro switch used?
                      I've never sat in or rode in a golf cart!

When we use fans on derby cars, we use 60 amp breakers or fuses at the batteries. No alt. That way no matter where the fan/system is breached, the circuit stops before the batteries.

Micro switches are used on the forward reverse handles on the gas pedals pot, number of places.The older models used more of them than the newer ones. Some of the old coil carts had several switches running the coils for a faster speed. I have been building carts for 20 some years. The switches can take a lot of abuse. Water doesn't bother them to much either.

Last edited by Andy4639; May 25, 2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Andy. Looks like a good solution to me!
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Andy. Looks like a good solution to me!

The hood springs are weak. If I hang my shop light on the hood it will close! I need to make me up a cool hood prop I guess! Well I could buy some new springs I guess too.

Comment

I found this in Walmart today so I rewired the fan relay through this also. Single to 2-40 amp fuses. It's for you amps but it serves my purpose also!

Name:	Double fuse holder.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1160465

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post

Under water! You have a car Harley not a boat! Well sorta maybe. Yea I saw where ya'll had some rain that last night.
                              We left very early on Saturday morning, torrential downpours all night with Tornado warnings. All the roads were flooded going out of town. We basically drove 15 MPH for the first 20 or so miles. My oil temp gauge never came off the pin, it was a liquid cooled oil pan. Got the car home and put it on the lift, and removed shrubbery and debri from the underside that was wedged into any place it could fit. I had a trunk full of water. The Midwest has brutal weather...

We later found out that the road was closed right after we went through. Anyway, I think the fan relay was water logged. I plan to change it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X