Shock relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock relocation

When we put the staggered shock disc brake kit on the 67 camaro, it never really fit right. Made extensions to the floor of the car for the upper shock mount. They have been fine but there is more and more noise coming from back there with these Chicago pot holes. Pretty sure I just bought single leaf shocks though. I originally made a cradle around the rear frame rails originally to save the floor, but we did it for the 67 setup and it did not work on the staggered, so we never really reworked it. We bought the bracket from competition engineering that relocates to the inside of the frame rails, but now the 3" exhaust is in the way. So we are thinking about swapping the leaf spring brackets so the shocks are inside and making a bracket like the comp piece to bring them inside. Is there anything we need to consider? I mean, eventually maybe ditch the leafs and do a 4 bar setup, so maybe trying to fit the current shocks where they would be with that might get us closer to using this all summer.

Are there advantages to relocating other than tubbing and axle shortening or will the car bounce more if they are inside?

The further out on the axles you get them the better the ride. The cornering will suffer if you go to far inside the frame rails. Stay as far out as possible.
    Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Thanks for that. This is a muscle car camaro, not the new fad of pro touring where they drop the car as low as possible. I mean, we put the proper hump in the trunk floor, just seems like there was additional cutting from the old set up that we did not get part of the inner wheel housings out of the way.

Comment

anything going fatter width helps it.
        shocks are just there.
        you get a certain power value.. they are just something else holding it together.

I find trucks are most difficult, I like concentric spacers in the back with my 20 dollar shocks.

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
          Thanks for that. This is a muscle car camaro, not the new fad of pro touring where they drop the car as low as possible. I mean, we put the proper hump in the trunk floor, just seems like there was additional cutting from the old set up that we did not get part of the inner wheel housings out of the way.
          Understand it all in what you plan to do with it.
          Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post

Understand it all in what you plan to do with it.
            Hopefully have my son drive it thru the summer without another major project. Maybe have the faith to take it on a road trip. Thats all, just loud street driving and head turning.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Decided to keep the outside location, just build some beefy brackets and patch the trunk. Yes, I will be starting over if we lose the leafs and go to a 4 link deal, but should not be a reason to right now.

Did you ever fabricate something and hoped you had started on the passenger side first? Had to become quite the feat to keep the shock height equal at 19 inches on both sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_134446.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1159387

Name:	20170520_135951.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1159388

Name:	20170520_163413.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1159389
              Last edited by anotheridiot; May 21, 2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X