Whenever rebuilding a transmission, NEVER do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whenever rebuilding a transmission, NEVER do this

I rebuilt another 4l60e this week, Tore it down and surprisingly had no bad hard parts. All frictions were even good. Except for the 3-4 gears section. It was beyond terrible. I could not figure out wat caused this until I was ready to put on the valve body. Who ever rebuilt it last time put the check balls on the magnet. Big mistake. What it did was magnetized them. I figured it out when putting them back on the seperator plate. Doing this can cause the check balls not to relief pressure like it should and well, burn it up. I changed them out and it is ready to go again.

terrible excuse.
    it is ashame that actually happened.

At 361k, I get a faintly dim ABS light for the speed sensor in the nv3500 rotation...only at a stop.
    supercharger sounding whiny bearings must be getting .010 sloppy by now.
    now there is only 530k miles left on this original build, dammit.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

EDITED-- read my post and i sounded
      like a doink.

whoops sorry. nothing to see here. move along...
      Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 12, 2017, 01:38 AM.

Comment

thanks for the tip Troy!!!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Hmm, I can't remember if I used a magnet or not!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

MANY years ago when I went to GM tech school on the TH350 (they were new at the time) they taught us to pull the balls with magnet. But that was eons ago and a much simpler trans so that old knowledge is no longer applicable - thanks for the tip (though I haven't done an auto trans is probably 40 years......)

Dan

Comment

Working...
            X