Charging an Optima battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging an Optima battery

Need the special directions to charge an Optima battery .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® CHARGING INFORMATION

The following charging methods are recommended to ensure a long battery life. Always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.
    YELLOWTOP Type: D51 & D51R - D35 – DS46B24R - D75/25 - D34 – D34/78 - D27F

These batteries are dual-purpose. They are designed for engine start and cyclic applications and for use in vehicles with large accessory loads.
    Recommended charging information:
    • Alternator:
      • 13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.
    • Battery Charger:
      • 13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for six to twelve hours.
    • Cyclic Applications:
      • 14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below one amp, finish with two-amp constant current for one hour.
    • Rapid Recharge:
      • Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below one amp.
    • Float Charge:
      • 13.2 to 13.8 volts, one amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
      • Strictly adhere to all limits.
    OPTIMA COMMERCIAL YELLOWTOP CHARGING INFORMATION

YELLOWTOP Type: D31A & D31T

These batteries are dual-purpose. They are designed for engine start and deep-cycle applications for use in vehicles with large accessory loads.
    • Alternator:
    • Battery Charger:
    • Cyclic Applications:
      • 14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below one amp, finish with three-amp constant current for one hour.
    • Rapid Recharge:
      • Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below one amp.
    • Float Charge:
      • 13.2 to 13.8 volts, one amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
    OPTIMA BLUETOP® CHARGING INFORMATION

The following charging methods are recommended to ensure a long battery life. Always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.
    BLUETOP Type: 34M

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep-cycle applications.
    • Alternator:
      • 13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.
    • Battery Charger:
    • Rapid Recharge:
    • Float Charge:
    BLUETOP Type: D34M / D31M/ D27M

These batteries are dual-purpose. They are designed for engine starting and deep cycling applications, as well as for use in boats with large accessory loads.
    • Alternator:
    • Battery Charger:
    • Cyclic Applications:
      • 14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below one amp, finish with two-amp constant current for one hour for D34M and three-amp constant current for one hour for D27M and D31M.
    • Rapid Recharge:
    • Float Charge:
    OPTIMA REDTOP® CHARGING INFORMATION

REDTOP Type: 34 & 34R - 34/78 - 78 - 25 & 35 - 75/25

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep-cycle applications.
    • Alternator:
      • 13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.
    • Battery Charger:
    • Rapid Recharge:
    • Float Charge:
    REDTOP Type: 6V

• Alternator:
      • 6.65 to 7.5 volts, no amperage limit.
    • Battery Charger:
      • 6.9 to 7.5 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for six to twelve hours.
    • Rapid Recharge:
      • Maximum 7.8 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below one amp.
    • Float Charge:
      • 6.6 to 6.9 volts, one amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
    • Safety Information:
      • Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.
      • Always use a voltage-regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.
      • Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.
      • These guidelines are intended for typical consumer applications. For military, commercial applications or new equipment design, please contact OPTIMA for additional technical information and assistance

Warranties
    Manuals
    Gear
    Sponsorships
    Ambassadors
    Contact Us
    Register Battery

Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Thanks guys . This one is a red one that a girl who's dad passed away a couple years ago . Trying to help her out .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

if she don't want to go some brand name market scam..
          even napa has a volt sensing digital charger.

just avoid old analog beasts. the guessing bouncing dial game is done.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think the bottom line is get or use one of those 20.00 or so digital laser thermometers and monitor the temp when charging is the real answer, especially if you just have the older style chargers. Apparently the vents pop at 125 as a safety issue and part of the gel starts evaporating or oxidizing the conductor inside and that kills the battery.

Comment

I usually use my Visa. (Sorry - I couldn't resist.....)

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                I usually use my Visa. (Sorry - I couldn't resist.....)

Dan
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I was thinking of a Kia, not so

Comment

I just used a regular upright Shumacher battery charger for my Redtop whenever it needed charging... but my Redtop only lasted 18 going on 19 years now.

Last year, I thought it was finally dead. I put it on the 10 amp charge and the amp needle stayed on 0. I put it on 40 amp for a while, and before you know it, it was showing some amperage... it was taking a charge!

People more knowledgeable than I suggested to put it on the 1 amp setting for 24 hours or more... but it repsonded to sort of "shocking" it back to life.

I don't have an infrared or laser temperature gauge, so when it started hissing, I turned it off for a while, then once it was cooled, I put it on 10 amp charge.

I figured that it was dead - what can it hurt?

Comment

It has been in her car working for a day now so I think we are out of the woods on it . Thanks for the responses .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Not an issue... glad you got her fired up... will have to keep a close eye on it tho... even Optima batteries go south eventually...
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                        X