No announcement yet.

Spal fans noisy, real noisy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure its worth the fight to go with engine driven, very tight. I plan on putting some miles on that 5.0 this year so I have mixed feelings about swapping cam. Everything takes me a long time. And the weather is suppose to be getting good soon right? Maybe fan this year and cam at the beginning of Winter next year? we will see. Thanks everybody and I better go check on Dan's Volvo thread.

Comment

not to rob the thread..
      so far I have got out of it.
      • beware of noise...
      • and too much amp draw
      • and a shroud does wonders.

So I found one on ebay, 3000cfm. 2250 rpm. 6.5 amps.
      16 inch should allow me to make little brackets to simulate factory fan in a 20 inch hole at the shroud.
      center it right at water pump.
      going to hook it up for a 96gmc.

What is a clever spot for thermal switch? does that thermal switch thread fit the line in or out of the tranny cooler side of radiator? I have a manual tranny, two open spots to gain a thermal reading. I'll have to hack a ground side , but whatever.

Fans are so cheap to swap.. I even found an ebay ad that asks you what size you want.

the center of fan engine, the shaft.. if you can keep that near water pump end, there is a clever trick about ground looping, it even smooths a mechanical thermostat. kinda like lightning with no storm.
      Aluminum engines really notice that trick. I am going to do that for my iron one, although hardly needed. Extra physics.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Barry - If you have a salvage yard I'd look for an HHR fan - they are supposed to really kick booty. You'll need a relay (I have one for each fan) and you can trigger them in any number of ways - a simple switch or a thermal switch in the head or one under a radiator hose (guys do that successfully) or maybe from your computer if you can find a trigger wire, or any number of other ways. But I'd start with the HHR fan and see how that works for you.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Barry - If you have a salvage yard I'd look for an HHR fan - they are supposed to really kick booty. You'll need a relay (I have one for each fan) and you can trigger them in any number of ways - a simple switch or a thermal switch in the head or one under a radiator hose (guys do that successfully) or maybe from your computer if you can find a trigger wire, or any number of other ways. But I'd start with the HHR fan and see how that works for you.

Dan
          I liked the thought of new, numbers written..
          I remember the fans being quite a big deal, american autos thta had none into the late 90s My truck was one of them.. Had to get them from elsewhere.
          ebay makes that easy. Even rockauto has a kit for my truck. somebody's important approval.. they don't just sell what they want.

my 87 subaru has a clutch fan, electric, and a solid.. one engine. I made a mini porsche/vw looking one...and kept the electric on the other half. Some engines with older alternators, voltage will never change without the constant breeze.

my 96 at obd2 is plenty ready for the electric fan. I'll go new.
          I found a good clutch fan takes 14hp. That is the peak..but the whole curve is down on the dyno chart. 6hp right on up to 14.. all rpms. 6 foot pounds was a peculiar constant. that must be the weight of it from no rpms all the way through. stayed the same loss.

if you watch motortrend on demand, you know what show i refer to.

I'll get it in there. Going through little subaru piles now.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 28, 2017, 06:48 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
          X