Spal fans noisy, real noisy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spal fans noisy, real noisy.

So after many years I am almost done (good one huh?) with a 5.0 Ford swap in my wife's Volvo. I had a shop help me toward the end and we added 2 10" Spal fans.
    They are probably good fans but way too loud. Car needs a cam swap and I was trying to justify how the car will sound better with a more aggressive cam. Stock Explorer cam now.
    My wife says it'll never sound good with those fans. True. I know this could be like asking for the best tires or oil. But I thought I'd toss it out there.
    Is there a brand better known for less noise? I'll put the Spal fans on my camping van so no loss there. Other considerations? My V8 Volvo pals use http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_te...ontrollers.htm. Which would be great for low temp needs and maybe that would be enough but it would still be obnoxious at high speed.
    Thoughts? oh and I never get notification from this site so I will try and check in regularly. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1468556286788.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	815.4 KB
ID:	1151199

I have two 12" Flex-a-lite Trimline electric fans,
    I hear them come on while stationary but after
    that.....just the engine.

Comment

I bought the rad for the V8 Volvo from a company called Cool Cats (as in Jags that don't overheat). It's actually a guy who designs the system and then works with Howe Racing to build what he designs. I had him include an electric fan package as part of the whole deal and whatever he provided works great and without any appreciable racket. I don't have his contact info at hand but I'm pretty sure you can Google "Cool Cats" (might be Coolcats, all one word) and get the contact info. Tell him I sent you and he'll charge you double (j/k!). Because we bought a whole system I don't know who made the actual fans.

He also sent along a Porsche 2 temp thermal switch (I think it's a Seimens or Becker, not Bosch) so the fans kick on sequentially and he included a "T" for the top hose so I could just slide it right in there. If you look on my build thread you can find pics of the installation. Great guy to work with.

Dan

Comment

may want to try variable speed fan controllers... likie this one:https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...ontroller.html
        we have dual 12 inch spal curved blade fans, and they are not too noisey on variable speed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	31165.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	1151268
        Attached Files
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'd just get a couple factory GM fans for a GTA trans am or a 92 corvette . I don't hear mine .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The HHR fans are sort of the "hot deal" (see what I did there?) currently but they're the wrong configuration for the fan setup in the Volvo (approximately 16" IIRC). The ones we have are (IIRC) 2 ea. 12" and they JUST fit. He had Howe make a close-fitting mount/shroud and attach it to the rad so it was all set up and pretty narrow front-to-back when it arrived. I had to do some cutting to fit it in but the car always was right at the edge of overheating so we wanted as much rad as possible and got it.

When the car came to me it had the Volvo Diesel radiator which was supposed to be the "good one" at that time but when it was hot out he couldn't run the AC. UM - when do you NEED the AC?.....

EDIT: I went looking online and it's "CoolCats Express Corp."

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; March 25, 2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

this is the set that looks like it was made for the S-10's:http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dual-1...7-H,17127.html Click image for larger version

Name:	9174004_L.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1151304
              Attached Files
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I've used the Lincoln Mark VIII single-speed for years without issue. Ran it with a 430hp SBC in a 1970 Camaro in California heat. It's cooling a 600hp LS motor now and a 4,000rpm stalled auto in a much gentler climate, but again, without issue. It's OEM level quiet and flows a ton of air. You can grab one from a junkyard for next to nothing...if you can find one. Or get a Dorman replacement fan which is the two-speed. It's not expensive. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-620-101
                1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

cam and louder exhaust should fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys! Great info!

Comment

On my 66 Mustang I just finished putting in a GT40P, I used the stock 4 blade fan but it was so noisy. I was going to put in a cheap electric fan I bought from Advanced Auto, I forget who makes it,16" but I decided on a thermostatic clutch fan. I love it. It's as quiet as when I took the 4 blade off and no fan. I'm very happy with it.

Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

P.S. Love that Volvo !
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                          On my 66 Mustang I just finished putting in a GT40P, I used the stock 4 blade fan but it was so noisy. I was going to put in a cheap electric fan I bought from Advanced Auto, I forget who makes it,16" but I decided on a thermostatic clutch fan. I love it. It's as quiet as when I took the 4 blade off and no fan. I'm very happy with it.

you will be even happier when you build it a shroud.

Comment

I'd suggest looking for some used 4th Gen F-body fans. Or any OEM setup from a similar HP car.

Comment

Originally posted by nonhog View Post
                              Thanks guys! Great info!
                              Hope it gets you where you need to go.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X