Torque Converter installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Converter installation

Swapping transmissions in the mustang, and installing a new TC while I am at it. What is the installation procedure for this? I have seen some places say fill it, then install it and deal with the mess; others say dont add any fluid and let the pump fill it as you add more fluid after installation. Yet another said to fill it halfway so it wont dump everywhere, install it, then top it all off.

Help?
    Local person
    sigpic

I always fill it a bit so it has lube inside upon startup. I've always found it pretty difficult to fill them all the way anyhow so it works out OK. Darn if I can remember the capacity on those but the TC builder should be able to fill in that blank. I got mine thru LenTech and Len told me how much to add (it wasn't full).

Dan

Comment

usually about 1/2 to a full quart...IIRC
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I was figuring a couple quarts in.

Also, if it matters- 4R70W, and I got a 10.5" converter for it.

Local person
        sigpic

Comment

My method: Look at the outer shell and knowing that much of the inside is empty space, and with a quart bottle next to it, imagine about how much it would take before it spilled out the center when tipped onto it's side. Putting the "guess" amount in, letting it sit a minute, then giving it a try does it. Not that critical, just giving it it's best head start.

Comment

we just replaced the torque converter (again) in the 67 Camaro. Best way I know is to have an input shaft and actually fill it, turn it, fill it, turn it. I honestly got more in this 10" converter (2 quarts) than I ever got in any other converter and none of it spilled out, we only had to add a pint to bring up the level. If you just fill and place its gonna get out. Don't know if your input shaft is removable or you have a spare, but it is the absolute best way.

​For any of you budget builders looking for a great converter, Rhino Transmissions. We have had nothing but problems with 2000 stall, 2500 stall, but this car just woke up for a little over 300.00, with tig welded guts and anti balloon plates with actual American threads and 3700-4200 stall..

Comment

I had my trans rebuilt last year in Barcelona.
              The shop owner is 85...been doing transmissions
              since 1952.
              He insisted priming the TC is not necessary the fluid gets there pretty quick.
              My B/M instructions told me to add fluid so on getting the trans home off came the TC and in went fluid.
              It's a peace of mind that costs nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X