Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bosch AL114 Volkswagen VW Vanagon Type 4 Type IV alternator circuit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch AL114 Volkswagen VW Vanagon Type 4 Type IV alternator circuit.

Bosch AL114X internally regulated 65 amp alternator for a '83 Volkswagen Vanagon 2.0 liter engine. My friend picked up one of these engines to rebuild and play with in his sandrail. Information was very hard to find on wiring it up, so I am posting this here to maybe help someone else since we figured it out.

The 2 large spade terminals where the connector would go are BOTH B+, as most of the Vanagons were camper style interiors VW decided to give an extra terminal for output capacity.

The small spade terminal D+ where the connector would go is the exciter / idiot light connection. This supplies ground when the alternator is NOT charging, and supplies 12+ when it IS charging. The other end of this circuit is a 12v incandescent bulb (NOT LED) which has 12+ to one side with the key switched on, and the ground side is a blue wire that leads to the small spade terminal D+ in the connector. The bulb lights when not charging, and goes out when the ground side also recieves 12+ from charging. This particular alternator NEEDS this exciter circuit to energize the alternator and allow it to initialize and start charging.

The only thing I am unsure of is the solitary spade terminal in its own hole to the left of the connector area, the one with the wire connected in this picture and leading to the small part labeled 2.2uF 100Volt.

I am guessing this is a current conditioner of some sort perhaps added to smooth out the peaks and valleys of the generated current for the EFI system? A capacitor or condenser of sorts.

Not all of these engines had them, in fact it seems that most did not from what I have personally seen.
    Last edited by STINEY; March 31, 2017, 10:36 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

The black thing is a 2.2uF capacitor for noise suppression. Think noise filter for the radio..
    The large spade terminals are both + positive terminals, the small spade terminal is for the idiot light on the dash.
    You should be able too hook a volt meter to the small terminal. Large terminal #30 can go to the starter solenoid or straight to the battery.

BTW STINEY, I sent you a text about the tire machine a few days ago...
    Last edited by tardis454; March 23, 2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

That alternator is similar to the one on the Volvo. I Googled by application and found the wiring diagrams online. I'd think they would be there for the VW, too. Another alternator alternative (see what I did there!!??) is to find your local independent rebuilder. Our local shop has always been really good about providing me with a sketch with the right wiring - I think I'd just tell them it came on the engine so they aren't mad that you didn't buy it from them. It actually might be a good plan to have them spin it up so you know if it's any good.

Dan

Comment

Working...
      X