$2750 Vette not getting oil to about half the rockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $2750 Vette not getting oil to about half the rockers

So I got it all back together . ( had the heads redone after my youngest really over heated it ) But It's not getting oil to half of the rockers even though it has 50 pounds of oil pressure . And its not just the front or the left or right side . I'm wondering what all could cause this . My guess is that the oil got cooked and got sludgy . All the oil was replaced with new oil and it has been ran for a short while oiling the offending rockers manually . I also ran the pump with a drill with a distributor with the gears ground off . Still the same problem . Anyone have any ideas on why I'm not getting oil everywhere ( different than my idea ) and also any ideas on how to rectify the problem without taking it back apart . It takes forever to get a TPI intake off .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Clogged pushrods?
    Are they the same ones?
    I've never had to rotate the engine to get oil to all ( was suggested to me) took some long pumping sometimes..
    Might have clogged rockers or lifters with dirt or sludge.
    Dirty engines that get put back together probably get the push rods soaked in diesel and blown out..

Comment

New clean pushrods ........
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Depends how sludgey it is.. Might have oil passages clogged.

Had an old Caddy I derbyed, oil looked really rough.. Changed the oil, first time it got hot, it seized.. Sludge melted into all oil passages.

Getting it hot changed something..

Comment

Bob , thanks for your response. No remedy in there though . Here's what I've come up with . A cocktail of 1.5 gallons of diesel fuel 2 quarts of dextron trans fluid 16 ounces of Seafoam . Spin the oil pump with a drill for about 5 minutes.
          Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 18, 2017, 07:57 PM.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I had to spin the crank of a sbf to get oil to all of them.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Well , three hours later , ( I had to make a trip to Harbor Freight to get a pair of plier type oil filter tool . The band / strap one just slipped even those this thing only had about 3 min run time on it , And I wanted to reuse it on the Seafoam / diesel fuel combo after emptying the oil out of it . ) I did finally did get fluid to come out of all the rockers . Four of them geysered while some had a good stream and a few had a stead drip . I moved the engine with a socket and rachet to a few different spots and continued the spinning of the oil pump in each of the spots I turned it to . So it seems we have success . I'm planning on draining the engine tomorrow and putting on a new filter. Then firing it up and seeing what we have .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Scrap yard and logging outfit I worked for would wait till near oil change time and drain a gallon of oil out and add a gallon of diesel then let them idle 15-30 minutes.. Never revved them or moved them.. Then changed oil and filters.

Glad your combo worked.. Hope it is smooth sailing tmrw!

Comment

I've done that diesel trick to some pretty-fouled Pennzoil motors and had great success getting them cleaned up.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ended up today helping a friend of my sons who's dad passed away a year ago . Her gas and brake lines had rusted out . So results on the car motor tomorrow after noon .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Good of you to be the substitute Dad. (Folks, Dan is one of the Good Guys).

Dan

Comment

Got out of work late then took my mom a case of bottled water ( you can't go to moms then run out ) , got home jacked the car up drained the diesel cocktail out of the crankcase , changed the filter and spun the oil pump and then I puttered out at 7:00 pm . My weekdays start at 5:00 am . Tommorow will be 60 degrees so we will then get number ! upTDC stab the distrib in and hook up the wires and see what she does .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Have not gone wrong with some marvel mystery oil when you put the fresh oil in it. I am just a little confused because spinning the oil pump is not pumping the lifters so I might put that distributor in without the coil wire and spin her around some first.

Comment

Working...
                          X