350 tbi cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 tbi cutting out

I have a 87 chevy truck doesn't have the power it should have. Truck hesitates some when taking off and cuts out and almost shuts on and off when I go around a sharp right curve such as an on ramp. Any suggestions on what it may be?

If it consistently cuts out on right curves but not on left, I'd wonder if there is a fuel pickup problem.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Maybe a weak fuel pump?

Comment

two cheapest reasons for these I found in the mid to late 90's cars I had were cam sensor and temperature sensor, since their computer riches or leans the fuel mixture based on engine temperature, not just turning on or off a fan. Don't know how far back that went.

Comment

If it doesn't do it with the gas tank near full, I'd wonder if the pickup is getting uncovered from slosh. If it still does it with the tank pretty full, I'd start wondering about the wires moving around. Also possible that the car is rolling on the suspension some and pinching some critical wire up near the front that makes the computer do goofy stuff (or even a mis-routed fuel line doing the same.... you really never know unless you know the complete history of the car).

Comment

Thanks guys. It does it with the tank completely full all the way to e. The problem is consistent I just can't seem to trace it down considering it only does it while driving lol

Comment

Possibly a bad pickup coul in the distributor. Ive had them do some wierd things .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Dan, Check fuel pressure and check for a restricted fuel filter. Fp should be9-13 lbs . I fought a bad fp on my 95 tow truck for about 6 months and found the pump bad . It acted the same as yours is acting.

Comment

Here's one more: Check for loose connections/grounds. With the engine idling, get in there with your hands and wiggle every wiring section or harness you can find...you may hit one that makes the engine sputter. If not, try along the frame and near the fuel tank too. It's happened to me...

Comment

Ok guys I have gone through and nothing seems pinched or loose connections in the wires that i can find and replaced the fuel filter. Not sure how to check the fuel pressure but still have the same issue with surging. However it has stopped cutting out when I make a hard right turn

Comment

why don't you think it's a timing issue? all of those symptoms could also be timing related. The way a TBI is designed, it would be quite something remarkable that it would be surging because of fuel issues.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

get a fuel pressure gauge and keep your eyes on it while you drive in the turns, starts and stops. If there is no significant drop than fuel cant be the issue i imagine. after that i would say ignition. when did it start doing this? Was it after you tinkered with anything or is this random?

Comment

a rochester 1 barrel does that..
                          right turn choke.

I'd go with fuel delivery checking as well.. but not for a float bowl.
                          ironically, I had to pump up regulator.
                          I was reading 5psi on japanese sized lines.. american needs to bump it up to equal the real volume for the carb.
                          anyway...

I hope it is simple.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                          X