What a surprise-rev limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a surprise-rev limiter

So yesterday on the way home I grabbed one too low a gear to lay waist to some idiot yeasterday. We had two lanes of traffic merging onto the loop that goes around Indy (465) .i was in the outside lane that merged into the left lane merging onto the loop. Well we are all picking up speed and this nut instead of going left , turns right in front of me . So I have to get down on the brakes, steer around him and get back up to speed before getting ran over . Well I went down to 2nd and let her wail . It is unreal how fast that LT1 revs . I was watching that tach ..... and those that know me know I don't really like going past 5000 very often and 5500 at the absolute limit . But some how I found out it cuts back around 5800 - 5900 .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Factory rev limiters are made to be touched often......at least that's how I see it. I'm sure those limits are sand-bagged by a decent sized margin.

What's the harm in using the programming, lol?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I would not mind one.
      My 1996 vortec can rev until 2 bolt main pieces are flying into the honda drivers eyes that I just passed.

just yesterday, a 222 mile round trip, mostly highway.. maine north and south.
      I found 80mph has oil pressure near 40psi. It drops 5 to go less than 80..
      2300 rpm.Cruise control forever.
      So I am tug boating along passing most everything..
      took note of a good looking duramax a long the way.

miles and miles went by...I see it coming, little car in front of it, going at a good clip.
      and it went by chasing a honda civic.

Do trucks ever have a peaceful day?
      4 times in 2 years, I patiently waited for your cute 97-105 limiter to kick in, bang fifth at 122mph somewhere off on your horizon...
      I am getting more patient. I am a truckers son of 6 million miles after all.
      2300rpm is the end of the world.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 11, 2017, 11:57 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Since I'm pretty conservative on wanting to rev high , I was quite greatful for it . I would rather it last longer . I checked a corvette forum just to make sure I wasn't dreaming the effect . Can not believe how different the rev-a -bility is between this engine and the L98 tpi in the other one .
        Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 13, 2017, 06:38 PM.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Factory rev limiter on the F-body LS1 is 6200 rpm. I smacked that thousands of times over the course of 140k miles. The LS1 never flinched. The differential, clutch, PS pump, A/C compressor and alternator all rolled over and died however.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
            Since I'm pretty conservative on wanting to rev high , I was quite greatful for it . I would rather it last longer . I checked a corvette forum just to make sure I wasn't dreaming the effect . Can not believe how different the rev-a -bility is between this engine and the L98 tpi in the other one .
            2 different designs.. one engineered when most of the vehicles it was dumped in had 4 gears or 4+1 manual.. so the low end power was more of a requirement . The 2nd.. designed when most that get it and be expected to be fast ,will have 6 speeds,
            Kinda shocked that a cast crank oem it's 6200 rpm.. Must be from much better oem balance tolerances.. and light weight pistons..
            I'd love to weigh a 1971 LT-1 piston against a 1996 LT1 piston.. bet the weight is way different.. I'd skip the 1970 piston as that might have a small dome that ad weight..

Comment

I had a 94 LT1 that I put in my 87 trans am an was pretty happy with the 275 happy with it but it was out of a capric wagon . Not sure what the difference is between the 2 of them except that this one has 300 and aluminum . I'd once just like to floor it once and not lift except to shift till it hits 140 . Id just like to know how much room it takes . One of these days .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The other type of rev limiter is when you float the valves. Especially with old valve springs.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

yeah I did that once when I was young and stupid , ( 18 ) I was driving around in my 74 satellite and once of my friends says , " How fast will it go in first ?" Well I had no tach and it hit 60 before all of a sudden the thing made a terrible noise and died . I coasted to the side of the road and thought , " Well that was a stupid way to blow a engine !", Well I coasted to the side of the road and thought about this for a while then thought.........I have nothing to lose And turned the key . Started right up and ran fine . So since it did 60mph in 1st and I had 2 more gears ...........that 318 car would do 180 ........right ?
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                    I'd once just like to floor it once and not lift except to shift till it hits 140 . Id just like to know how much room it takes . One of these days .
                    Should do it in less than a mile!
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X