Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New To Chevy Small Blocks - How Many RPM's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Chevy Small Blocks - How Many RPM's?

Hi There, I'm new here, and new to Chevy Small Blocks. I'm doing a new project that I want to use a small block for. How many RPM's can I get for my Redline? Thanks!

Need more info than that. Depends a lot on what kind of parts you're putting into it, what you intend to use it for, and what kind of maintenance schedule is acceptable for it.

Comment

What is your background? Not asking just to be a smarta$$ - it'll help us help if we know that we're talking to guy with years of experience with, say, Hondas or maybe air cooled VWs or if this is your first rodeo. If you have experience, even with other brands or types, we can talk about how the Chevy is similar but then how it differs.

Honestly, especially for a common engine like a SBC it's hard to beat a crate engine, say, BluePrint or other - a sorted combo that's known to WORK. They buy parts in quantity and it's almost always cheaper to buy the crate motor over deciding on a combo, buying individual parts, having machine work done (are those used heads and that block usable?), etc. If you go with a crate engine they'll tell you what the RPM range is and what the max safe RPM will be for that combo. Something to think about.

Short answer - I've seen SBCs that are all in at 5500 RPM and others that run all day at 10,000 (look up"Traco"). RPMs cost a LOT of money!

Dan

Comment

A basic factory sbc figure 5000to5500 rpm
        Add in cam with correct springs intake and you can get to 6500 give or take
        You can go all the way to 9400 rpm if your wallet is deep enough..

Comment

Ditto on a relatively stock healthy SBC , it should go to 5000-5500 with no worries .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

we ran injected nitro thru a hard blocked 350 motor, .060 over with a little extra stroke with 6" rods and ran our best mph at 189 at 8900 rpm's in a FED.

Comment

This 355 SBC went 7000rpm with a .520 lift cam and made 485hp...
              The Green Machine.
              http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I had a mildly modified 355 that I turned 7000 week after week for 2 years before switching to a 406 sbc.
                ARP rod bolts, comp cams 292 cam and appropriate springs were about the only internals that weren't stock or stock type.
                The 355 didn't fail; it got an rv cam and stock heads, then was installed in my truck, running great for another couple years (at least) when I sold the truck. To my knowledge, the engine kept going, but the rearend of that truck failed - but that's a different story and would be a different thread.

I've heard it said that cast rings will not live at 7000 rpms, but I got lucky - my 355 did have cast rings. If you are planning to turn that much rpm, I suggest molly rings.

...and of course have it balanced by a reputable shop.

Most of the time the 5000 to 5500 redline is decided by the valve train.

Comment

Working...
                X