Harmonic balancer sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic balancer sizing

Is there a rule to sizing a balancer to the stroke? For instance, say someone has a 3.875 small block Chevy crank, what size balancer would you recommend? What other factors are involved to picking out the correct balancer?
    Thanks

My suggestion is to Email or call the balancer manufacturer of interest and ask them for their recommendation. Perhaps in an ideal world each balancer might be sized to that particular stroke, connecting rod weight and length, etc. but in practice they've come up with a few sizes/weights that do the job across the board. If you want a really smooth engine the best suggestion might be to have the balancer spin balanced with the crank at the machine shop.

Dan

Comment

Marlan Davis says........
      http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...-block-chevys/

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
        that is a great article.
        I still refer to my benz crank boxer with just a pulley and a pin..no twist at all on the 1.8 liters into 9000 rpm.
        now 31 years old.
        Shared journals are a limiter for us retarded customers.
        A v8 is not self balanced, but does good...not great.

Another reason a 305 on a manual strangely runs a very long time. It is in the boundaries of math as their first v8.. the 265-283.

Real gurus know this stuff, but racers. Racers are just racers on this... theorizing daily.
        I learned a long time ago, do what you want on the balancer. Just swapping from manual to auto trans and back throws that theory stuff out.

it should have one, especially that rubber ringed one. that is the real function, more than weight. I do have one for a self balanced boxer..but that was a rally engine, they knew of cams bending on load. Helped conquer resonance of crazy timing on boost.The little chevy looking cloned harmonic balancer does go into use on many places.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 18, 2017, 11:38 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Despite the OP's loss of interest here is some more on harmonic dampers.
          http://www.dragzine.com/news/engine-...ration-to-heat

Comment

Working...
          X