No announcement yet.

Broke spark plug....grrr....2165cc Volkswagen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always hated those little buggers. They always leak coolant all over the place. Sorry, no clue on what might be the issue but it looks like time for a fresh head.

Dan

Comment

Luckily, they are aluminum. Weld up, spotface, go on your merry way!
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Is this the cylinder with the bad plug?

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Are you triggering the msg with a stock distributor Barry?
          yes, but it is optical.
          Subaru was in with... nissan or toyota, mr.beachy? 1985. I kept 3 of them, proclaiming the future.
          hitachi went hog wild on their new invention to play compact discs.. added it to some asian cars.
          The subaru EA82 was one of them.

It needed the digital msd after these decades to show how amazing it is...

I also found it truly responded to the newer coils, the epoxy based. Does not like the old PCB oilers.
          The old engines, thinking of the beetle, they can benefit.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Is this the cylinder with the bad plug?
            Yes it is. Coincidence?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Better pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Yes it is. Coincidence?
                Idea? Maybe pounded senseless as it didn't grt lit off by the plug? Or something along those lines?
                Unlit gas has to go somewhere..

Comment

I'm starting to have evil thoughts about racier heads. Little lead-footed imp on my shoulder keeps whispering about D-ports.......

I'd hate to lose throttle response due to a too-large intake port. These current ones taper constantly from butterfly to valve keeping velocity up. Shrink ported is the game. This engine has always been extremely quick to rev, am afraid to lose that.

But if different heads made even more power......might not need that velocity.

Comment

I was thinking of tig and a pipe sleeve for the bolt.

My little subaru pulverized heads too. I kept one as a wheel chock.

DB is right on about the fires going astray. Takes awhile, but the boxer does gain some drama.

I went from single port to dual, and it is a big intake. Nothing to notice in power loss. Timing had to get much more precise..all the way to a map sensor as an extra for the MSD.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Chris, you can always add a turbo or 2...
                      CR might be a bit too high?

Comment

Compression can be addressed with the head selection DB.

Pistons are at 35 in the hole for a nice quench....current combustion chambers are 58cc.

Larger chambers...hmm...have to crunch some numbers.

Maybe it is turbo time after all these years? That was the original plan way back when. The cam is a "turbo grind" with no overlap to speak of.
                        Last edited by STINEY; February 27, 2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Friend of mine stopped by and took the head. He has a friend with a son who welds all day every day for a living, and the dad is pretty good with a mill.

$100 later we are back in business.

The other end had a small crack in it too. Nothing like the ruptured one, but it got welded and milled too.

Backside you can still just barely see the crack. Its okay, the front is solid now.

Comment

I love stories with happy endings.

Comment

I'd look at the nut and washer set up you are using to hold the cylinder heads down. Remember, due to thermal cycling and differential expansion, those head nuts are always trying to dig down into the cylinder head. On Corvairs, there is a special flanged nut you are supposed to use on the upper head studs to increase the contact surface area. On the lower studs, the pushrod guideplate is sandwiched between the head and the head nut and provide even more surface area. Even with the flange upper nuts, they still dig into the head over time.

Comment

all that work and no turbo? sigh, no happy ending here.
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X