Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Idle time and WOT is all we see.

Might want to half your run time on plugs.)
    I beat if we were to map our duty cycles on both -- the derby motors and the dune motors would be VERY similar. Never thought about it like that before.

Definitely going to change spark plug change intervals, lol.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
      I resorted to NGK iridium and msd ignition.
      Are you triggering the msg with a stock distributor Barry?

Comment

if the plug was loose, it would get carbon in the threads....right?

I only have one pair of aluminum heads, they have plug thread issues too. I have a helicoil in one that the end kind of popped loose the last time I had the plug out, I was able to work it back into the groove, but I'm afraid to pull the plug again. I should probably pull the head, and get it fixed. Before Drag Week starts up again.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Right Jim. But I have no real clue how carbon acts in "film" form.

What stage does film fall in between anyways? Somewhere between solid and liquid, or liquid and gas? Or maybe gas and solid?

I heat stuck threads quite often and let wax wick into them. Those threads sure aren't loose.

This wasn't even the troublesome VW #3 cylinder that runs hotter than the rest. This was #4.

The whole thing has my curiosity up.

Comment

If using anti-seize didnt work, maybe melt some wax on the threads of the plugs on installation?

We change plugs often.. I got several sets that are streetable.. But none of our heads are alum, except bikes...

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I beat if we were to map our duty cycles on both -- the derby motors and the dune motors would be VERY similar. Never thought about it like that before.

Definitely going to change spark plug change intervals, lol.
              like a mower, or a boat motor... which are largely all aluminum any more. Rode hard, put up wet most of the time. Are you guys seeing a lot of problems with plugs at work?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

99% of our stuff at work is diesels anymore. I feel like a dinosaur here.
                Last edited by STINEY; February 17, 2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

There's your answer - DIESEL! No plugs, no problem. Brilliant.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; February 17, 2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I only wish I could get ahold of one of VW's prototype aircooled diesels. Then I would be typing this from a warm beach somewhere,enjoying a drink with some fruity name.

Comment

"Louder, SLOWER!"

I'm surprised it wasn't a damaged plug, but that is great news for the head and rotating assembly. Hopefully more frequent plug checks/changes solves it. Maybe adjust the heat range?
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I don't see no turbinator on the Bug motor. That's why it's slow! (That would be cool in a buggy) Is there a small Deutz you could fin in there?

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; February 17, 2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                          Maybe adjust the heat range?
                          That's the plan. I think a step colder might be a good thing.

Comment

Ah crapola.

New problem.

What's wrong with this picture?

The other side. This is one of the 8 locations where the head is torqued down. I'm unaware of this being an issue.....maybe a porosity fluke?

Its hard to see, but the recessed area has a hairline crack at the bottom of the machined step, and the "flat" area is now slightly concave.

Last edited by STINEY; February 22, 2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I wonder what broke that? but I'm quite unfamiliar with those motors, so I can't even guess.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Its the lower right side head stud washer surface. I'm at a loss as to what caused this. That nut was as tight as the rest of them, and its not a known trouble area.

Machinist error?

Last edited by STINEY; February 22, 2017, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X