No announcement yet.

Oh no....bad tire wear....2006 Chevy Express 3500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but I switch wheels/tires for those. And it tends to scrub both inner and outer treads.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Do you paint them orange? (so that everyone knows you've got your track tires on)
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Red. I'm still too attached to my rat rod roots to do orange.

Comment

no orange roots... good to know

Comment

sorry, no video - it wasn't bad enough to demonstrate the issue.... when did GM make idler pivots out of aluminum? they already had trouble with the cast iron ones so they made it softer?

Comment

Aluminum? Brilliant.

So.....yours wasn't bad enough to show on video......yet something led you to investigate and replace.....was it tire wear similar to mine? Or some other symptom?

Comment

yep, tire wear was exactly like yours - the only real outward sign was someone had really really really lubed it. It did have a bit of play, but it'd never show on video.

Comment

Awesome information. Thanks! Its amazing how through geometry just a bit of play can translate to a TOE-OUT situation.

Hanging at full-droop, my toe setting is exactly 0.

Comment

I know what you mean. At full droop mine is near zero, too.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I know what you mean. At full droop mine is near zero, too.

Dan
                      TMI......
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Just letting Stiney know that he's not alone. It happens........

Dan

Comment

You guys.......

Getting ready to order up some "Problem Solver" Moog upgraded idler arm bracket assembly and Problem solver Pitman arm #K6723 & # K6536HD

Just need to check and see if I need a 3 spline arm or a 4 spline arm. Apparently GM used either one randomly?

Going to order up some new front shocks and install at same time. The original ones on it seemed almost locked when I got the van, They loosened up suddenly one day several years ago, and the ride improved substantially. Its probably time for replacement as it does seem to have developed a touch of bounce.....hard to tell with a 3500 series lightly loaded most of the time.

Comment

im surprised that your upper ball joints arent loose. most, like 80% of 90k miles or higher GM trucks i put tires on have loosey goosey ball joints. some ya gotta pull the tire and put a pry bar through the arm to the frame, but they do move. and present the same wear pattern.
                            Charles

Comment

A couple years ago I installed a high performance tubular control arm suspension on my 66 Mustang. I learned to do my own alignment, set up and resolve some issues. It was a real education. You can set your alignment but as soon as the suspension move up or down from the static height everything changes. While I'm still inexperienced my guess is a toe out problem due to worn bushings. I have my camber set at slightly over 1* neg camber. It's more then enough to notice. Last time I took my car for state inspection while I did pass the shop made a comment that I needed an alignment bad. I know the shop and told the owner I was aware of the camber and what it was. The point being even with that amount of negative camber I haven't noticed unusual tire wear. One of the reasons I run that camber is for tire clearance

I have a 04 Trailblazer that wears the tires similar, especially the left side. It has 156K miles. Most alignments today I believe consist of basically setting toe on today's cars. On the VMF one of the guys works in a garage. He joked that they call alignments "toe and go" since caster and camber is pretty much fixed. If you have a flat, smooth garage floor fold up some of those thick, heavy 3 mil black plastic contractors garbage bags up as slip sheets and place them under the tires. Bounce the truck on each corner to allow the suspension to settle and check toe with a ruler. you can easily check camber either with a app on your phone or a digital level. getting involve with it is a great way to find out what's going on. It's really not black magic.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Haven't had time to do anything further on the van.....and wanting it for a long trip in a few weeks.....I dropped it off Monday at a 3rd shop, one who has done good work for me in the past.

Stopped in this morning to see what was found. He said he checked everything twice, nothing is loose, and that vehicles just go out of alignment sometimes. Toe at ride height was 5/8" OUT at ride height (no wonder it was getting darty on the road).

So he set the toe correctly. I have a hard time choking down the "just go out of alignment sometimes", but he and I were expecting to throw up to $1000 in the front of this, so its not like he was trying to sell me more than I needed.

I'm going to rotate tires front to rear and see what happens in a few thousand more miles.

Comment

Working...
                                X