Exhaust Temp..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Temp..

How hot does your ex ,pipe over rear axle get... Have a rear mounted battery with cables and wiring running close to new exhaust I'm building
    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

high comp or short stroke and or turbo .. I'd go with extra think.

my truck at 280hp is still only luke warm barely hot after towing a boat all day in the summer.
    my 1.8 liter subaru wagon melts the plastic off the bumper...14 feet from the engine.

good question you have. it is tricky.
    just feel it with your fingers after a known hot run...or wait for fire, something that smell funny.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I don't have data at that point in the exhaust system but I'd insulate just to be sure. I'm pretty cautious about such issues and have insulated the crap out of both fuel lines and wiring on the Volvo build. No exhaust on Mutt the Race Truck so it doesn't apply there.

But here's a thought. My HF digital volt-ohm meter came with a type K thermocouple and the meter has a plug and readout setting for it. You could instrument your DD (hose clamp the thermocouple end to the pipe and insulate it a bit with DEI or similar wrap) then drive and read the results. If you're looking for a worst case, instrument a truck as used to tow - say - a car trailer, load up the car, and tow up a long hill. That'll probably be a worst case scenario. Then report back with the data - we'll all learn something! My guess is around 400*F or so but that is absolutely a guess.

Be sure that the truck is a gasoline fueled - Diesel data can't be counted on to be similar.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; January 29, 2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
        How hot does your ex ,pipe over rear axle get... Have a rear mounted battery with cables and wiring running close to new exhaust I'm building
        As hot as the head pipe, depends on how long the engine is running.. Go run down the highway at 65 without overdrive and in 30 minutes you'll burn your hand on it..
        The lower the vehicle the hotter faster it'll get.. a nose bleed height vehicle might be fine.. like most 60-80's cars that had 8+" of air space under the car for air to flow under it..

I'd heat shield /wrap the line/cables

Many an 80's mustang gt rear bumper cover is melted around the exhaust cut out in it.. the plastic of the bumper is thicker than the stuff on the battery cable..
        Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; January 29, 2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X