Help me diagnose engine noise, Ford 2.3 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me diagnose engine noise, Ford 2.3 Turbo

Hello! I have a 1973 240z with an 88 turbocoupe 2.3 and T5 tranny.

- The engine has been making a rattle I'm having a hard time diagnosing. It seems to only occur around 2-3k rpm and is not present at idle. I've recorded some good audio so you guys can tell me what you think. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fIA...ature=youtu.be

transiton of vac to boost or something..
    peculiar sound, like a diesel valves.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Is sounds very much like its coming from the top end, like right under the valve cover. Is it something to be concerned about?

Comment

Hey 2:40 - welcome!

Here's where I make my usual suggestion for these kind of issues. You need to find a shop with a dyno with a PAU (power absorbtion unit) like a Mustang, SuperFlo or similar. Most DynoJets are inertia only and don't apply much or any load during a cruise. Anyhow, chuck the car up on the dyno, load it a bit, and then you can get out your stethoscope and pinpoint the exact area of the noise. If you're pretty sure it's under the valve cover it would be a good idea to score a VC from PnP and cut the top out before heading to the dyno so you can swap it out and listen/observe the likely problem area. You can do this on the road - if you don't mind driving with the hood up and can run fast enough for long enough (not finding a sarcasm smilie).

Seriously, folks tend to forget about the dyno as a diagnostic tool and only think of it to measure results. This is exactly the type of situation where the dyno is your friend. I have a local shop that is very reasonable for this type of testing as long as I have everything ready so he isn't wasting time waiting for me to get my act together - of course, time = money for him.

Good luck!

Dan

Comment

Working...
        X