Simulated wood grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulated wood grain

Has anyone here restored one of the older simulated wood grain GM wheels? I got one off E bay the other day and it arrived today. My plan right now is use
    PC-7 Paste Epoxy Two-part epoxy adhesive paste (bonding agent, sealant and filler)
    Apply indoor and outdoor with a temp range of 35 to 115 degrees F
    Can be painted, stained, and machined after fully cured. This is the same stuff Eastwood sells in their kit.
    Any tips are links?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wood grain steering wheel.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1142765

Click image for larger version

Name:	wood grain steering wheel2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1142766

Retirement is better than I thought!

As far as the repair goes, it's just like doing a fiberglass repair, you want to "Vee" out all the cracks, then build it up above flush, and sand it down and shape to the final desired contour.
    Should be easy enough to find some tutorials on youtube

**The temp range on the product you mentioned you were planning on using does sound rather narrow, as on a warm summer day, parked in the sun, a car interior will go waaaaay beyond 115 deg F

BUT, before you start, I would decide if you want to try your hand at painting the woodgrain back on (again, I expect there are tutorials out there), or go the easy way (but not necessarily the cheap way) and have it hydrodipped.

If you decide to hydrodip it, I would take it to a shop that does hydrodipping before starting repairs & compare available patterns to what's on there now, easier to choose with the real deal right there in front of you for comparison.....and also get their recommendation on what colour of basecoat to lay down before you bring it in for them to do their thing......

Here is a short vid, oddly with no narrative or sound?? showing the dipping process.....

we took a metal steering wheel. lightly scuffed and base coated with white plasti dip. burlwood film. 76 degree water, 90 second soak time. dipped after acti...

James
    Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; January 26, 2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Yep I plan on taking it today to my buddies place and have him give me a price and tell me what he needs form me to do it.
      The temp range from what I have read is just for applying it not after it's harden's. It doesn't say anything at all. Yea I watched that video also and have been reading up on it the last few days. There not a lot out there I guess nobody wants to give up their secrets on rebuilding them.

Comment

I was told for a $100.00 he would make it look like new! I need to get the cracks filled first though.

Comment

Working...
        X