Hey Ford guys 4.6 what will fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Ford guys 4.6 what will fit?

I have been doing some research but I am a little confused. I have a 2005 Mountaineer that needs a motor. I am trying to figure out what models/years will work. Is the basic motor the same from crown vic to expedition to f150? Seems there are quite a few pitfalls with the 4.6. I am just looking to get it back on the road without screwing my self.

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by rightpedal; January 16, 2017, 05:25 AM. Reason: cause i got my ferd/cheby confused
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

I think all SOHC 4.6s after 2002 are PI. I don't remember when they went to 3 valves in Exploders, 06 or 07. I'd say any complete engine from 02-05 should get you there.

Comment

You want a 2 valve PI motor. PI NPI are easy to spot the one the first intake runner goes to #1 the other #5. Also make sure the valve covers have the same number of bolts.

Sounds like yours is aluminum the rest will be iron but have been made to work.

Now that I have spent much time and money on lift and tires my engine decides to crap out on me!!! It has all of 220,000 miles on it so Im just gonna replace it. The best motor I can find is a 4.6 out of an 04 Mercury Grand Marquis with 28,000 miles on it for $850. Anything I search for...
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

going to go take a look at this

Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Looks like the extra intake is a NPI (junk)

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Wow so much new to me info. PI/NPI I think I have it down. Thanks Russell and Haulen. This is the first modular ford I have played with and am learning the pitfalls really fast. The timing chain shredded the front cover pretty good before it broke and bent all the valves on the passenger side. I just want to make it run and make it leave. So I figure a cheaper take out motor is the way to go. Craigslist is yielding very little for aluminum explorer motors. They run in the 800-1000 range. The iron version runs 400-600.

Comment

Because bangshift: Get a new 5.0 coyote and turbocharge it! During my reading about mod motors, one person said the "moduler" was used as easier to construct, not easier to swap later.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

If it's not a concern for you personally, than I wouldn't worry about finding the Explorer aluminum version.

One thing to search is the crank style- the 4-6 came with 8 bolt or 6 bolt rank/flywheel pattern. I'm not sure of the year split without google.

If you do find a $100 engine, you PI intake will fit an NPI engine....
                Last edited by Teddyzee; January 18, 2017, 08:16 AM.
                1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                1997 Mustang GT
                sigpic

Comment

I think the 6 vs 8 bolt flywheel was more on the DOHC 4.6 Mustang motors with the stick cars getting a forged crank with 8 bolts while automatics got a cast crank with 6 bolts. I do know Ford for what ever reason made 2 versions of the 4,6 one was made in Cleveland and the other in Windsor. I think about the onlly thing they had in common was the block. Even though both looked the same and were SOHC there were a lot of differences between them as Russel said check the cam cover bolts. I don't know how long they did that. Too long if you ask me. Good luck.

Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

query Teksid sometime when you're bored.

As many trivial changes as the new motors get, I think I'd look at LKQ and get one out of a similar year model. They usually have a few of everything.
                    Last edited by Beagle; January 20, 2017, 04:58 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                    X